Flybe Expansion In Iom

lfc84

IOM-Liverpool from 30 March 2008

3 daily

From £19.99 single including tax.

Also

IOM-Newquay charter - details tba

Interesting times ahead for Euromanx on the Liverpool and Manchester routes.

Oh yippee. After hearing of a major announcement, including possible new new routes, may be even direct to a Europen desitination what do we get competition on a route which has already proven it can not sustain to companies flying it. As Flybe have bigger pockets than EuroManx then I presume it will be bye bye EuroManx. As consumers we might gain from a price war in the short term but in the long term I expect there will be no real difference.

I just hope there is something else to justify the hints about a major announcement

From £19.99 single including tax.

Let's wait and see eh?

Exactly. Add to that credit card booking fee and luggage, suddenly it is a £70 return fare. Probably half a dozen seats per plane.

Newquay is interesting. Difficult and expensive to get to Cornwall at the moment.

FlyBe are my least favourite carrier to and from the Isle of Man. Appalling reliability, couldn't-care-less attitude to the difficulties their lack of reliability cause you, and the headline price they quote has never been anything like what it ends up being. If you look (just for example) at the cost of a flight to Manchester on 22nd December, there is one quoted for £66.49. It's really, however, £99.99, PLUS a credit card booking fee.

So I take the view that they're dishonest, unreliable and have a surly attitude towards customer service. I'd pay the extra to fly with Euromanx too

:o Got an e-mail from Flybe advertising their New routes and while the new IOM-LPL is £19.99 and IOM-BHX £34.99 there is small '1' next to the fare and the note at the bottom says that this fare is for: Travel between 30.08.08 to 25.10.08[/b]

Nearly got suckered by the small print!

FlyBe are my least favourite carrier to and from the Isle of Man. Appalling reliability, couldn't-care-less attitude to the difficulties their lack of reliability cause you, and the headline price they quote has never been anything like what it ends up being. If you look (just for example) at the cost of a flight to Manchester on 22nd December, there is one quoted for £66.49. It's really, however, £99.99, PLUS a credit card booking fee.

So I take the view that they're dishonest, unreliable and have a surly attitude towards customer service. I'd pay the extra to fly with Euromanx too

Flybe's recent reliability problems were an inevitable consequence of their takeover of BA Connect. They now have shiny new aeroplanes, and freshly retrained crews, so the time to assess their reliability is now, not

when they were making a massive transition of people, planes and processes.

Their pricing model is that common to all low cost airlines. Yes, this is a maze where you only find out the cost at the end of your booking, and this can be misleading. But the same approach is used by Ryanair, and Easyjet, for example, and I recall a number of posters being convinced that these airlines were the solution to Manx aviation's perceived overpricing and all other ailments.

Oh, and the staff on the Isle of Man are actually employed by Flight Support, which also provides the same facilities for Euromanx, and was until about a year ago, a Euromanx subsidiary, or associated company. So, there just may be a bias in their loyalty.

It is true that Euromanx have some head office functions providing employment for Manx workers, and that is a valid reason for supporting them, but the reasons that Tugger puts forward are a little unfair and misguided.

Comfy chair has got it about spot on. Tugger, your post is misleading regarding the website. When you open the booking page it quite clearly shows the basic fare, and in the large panel on the right the running total including taxes.

I could take personal offence at your quote that the staff have a couldn't care less attitude - I can assure you that it is quite the opposite, certainly from your IOM based crews.

Accepted, many people were let down by the poor service at the outset - cast your mind back to when Euromanx started up - things were very similar for them too.

Those times have now passed - for both Airlines.

The majority of the delays and cancellations which we suffered originally were as a direct result of this transition - but I can say, hand on heart, that the only hiccoughs we've had over the last three months have been technical issues with aeroplanes either here or across. That affects all airlines - and is why Euromanx have cancelled all of their flights to Manchester yesterday and are running with a three hour delay today. It's not something we crow about when it happens to the opposition - although Flybe is of such a size and strength now, that if something like that did happen, in most cases we'd be able to divert resources from the UK operation to make sure everyone got where they needed to be.

We have ten ex Manx Airlines Captains, one ex Manx Airlines First Officer and nine new pilots on line now flying two new aeroplanes crewed by as many again ex Manx Airlines Cabin Crew and a number of new locals, so so far as the 'real' Manx Airline is concerned I'm not so sure that the line in the sand is as clear as some make out.

BTW, I just visited the Flybe website as well - at the moment all LPL returns during the first week of April are £41.97 - and that includes the debit card fee of 99p per sector and all taxes, so not quite sure what Triple 7 has seen.

One point which is worth making, that the majority of forum users are probably too young to remember is that in 1989, the cheapest iom-heathrow return was £185, and the cheapest iom Manchester return was £129. Putting that in perspective, lowest fares are cheaper today and people earn 2-3 times as much.

Flown flybe 3 times.

3 problems.

Couldnt pay me to fly with them now.

Euromanx never had a problem, happy to pay extra

It amazes me how quickly people forget what a state Euromanx were in just a couple of years ago with flight schedule delays!

Sure Ive had problems with euromanx, usually an hour delay, just means a couple more pints in the bar. Last time with Flybe going to Jersey (not direct)

Left IOM early Friday afternoon for connecting flight about 4ish to JSY. Sat in London airport (forget which one) listening to delay messages all day. Eventually cancel flight. In a cab to Southampton approx midnight. Fly out next morning.

Return leg on the Monday flight from Jersey is delayed so miss last flight back home, overnight in Manchester (TBF they paid for the hotel)

Flight delayed Tues morning and when I did get home my bag went missing for two days.

This is all personal experience so I can only go on my experience, they will be people out there who have never had a problem with Flybe and good for them. Last Manchester return I had they cancelled the Flybe flight and was transferred to a euromanx flight.

I may try them again in the future but for now its euromanx.

Archived