Benefit Fraud

silky

Would you report someone who you knew was frauduently claiming benefits?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Contact the The Lt Governor?

EDIT: seriously - turn a blind eye. It isn't worth getting involved when only money is involved. But I would report someone who was abusing an animal or a child.

People who deliberately steal money that has been earmarked for the benefit of those in genuine need should be put in the stocks and have fresh dog turds thrown at them, after which the words "I am a thieving xxxx" should be tattooed on their foreheads.

But as that wasn't included in the options I would have to go along with reporting them immediately.

What would you do if you knew an advocate was a fraudster. Or a judge was part of a sneaky conspiracy deal. Or someone was on a tax scam. A government employee gets a cheap house or extra good deal on a car for putting work in a certain direction.

Well what do you do? There's no one to report it to really is there? And would it be worth all the hassle? Perhaps you would come off worse?

We all hope 'when the man comes around' it all sorts itself out. But does it?

When The Man Comes Around

(I love that low piano . . . )

I voted 'no', not because I have any sympathy with benefit fraudsters but because I think they are at the very lowest level of the piles of corruption that inflict society. While they are caught and pilloried for taking hundreds, many others are often getting away with mishandling many thousands. I could accept it more easily if I believed that the same standards of probity were applied at all levels of society but, I regret to say, I don't believe that is the case.

I think that there are various types of benefit fraud, depending on the benefit that is being received.

Whilst I don'tt advocate benefit fraud, it does happen and it has a very narrow definition. A single mother, no wait, a single mother that lost her husband through an accident by a drunk driver? Does not receive any life insurance payment, the drunk driver was uninsured and she can't afford to pay child minding costs with the basic wage that she can earn. She is stuck in a poxy little flat and gets very little help from the Government. She claims an additional £6.00 per week for something that she is NOT entitled to have. She gets caught and is prosecuted for Benefit Fraud. She has to repay every penny and costs out of any existing benfit.

Case 2, a person has a full time job, gets paid in cash and claims income support. Goes out every Friday and Saturday night and spends every penny on getting drunk, high or both. Eventually gets reported for Benefit Fraud doesn't have a work permit and gets banned from working on the island for a number of years.

The point being what is benefit fraud or what is considered as a reasonable punishment to the different types of benefit fraud. Should individual circumstances be taken into account when considering each case or do you treat everything with a broad brush?

I wouldn't like to comment on something like this without first being in receipt of the full facts.

Perhaps your poll should include an option for "Depending on the circumstances"

Stav.

I'd go along the lines that Stav wrote - it depends on the circumstances.. Generally, it's wrong to do, but if bureaucracy can't accomodate all scenarios in an efficient and fair way, then a person in real need shouldn't suffer because of a few well needed quid..

Bigtime Pi**takers should be put on the pillory, though...

Archived