Worth Buying A Dab Radio For A Friend?

parchedpeas

I wouldn't thank you for one. If they have broadband you'd be better off getting them an Internet radio. DAB has failed miserably. Channel4 recently pulled out of their trials and if it wasn't for the BBC no-one would be pushing it.

I wouldn't thank you for one. If they have broadband you'd be better off getting them an Internet radio. DAB has failed miserably. Channel4 recently pulled out of their trials and if it wasn't for the BBC no-one would be pushing it.

Agree, if he's got wifi and broadband, get an internet radio. Very chuffed with mine and wouldn't consider DAB.

Agree, if he's got wifi and broadband, get an internet radio. Very chuffed with mine and wouldn't consider DAB.

Ahh. An INternet radio! Hadn't thought of that! Good idea. Will look into it. Any suggestions as to models etc?

internet radio is definatly the way to go but DAB isnt bad as a gift if they like sport they will certainly enjoy 5 live coverage of the F1 etc as its pants over here but crystal clear on dab. can't say i ever listen to 1 Xtra or Asian but if they are older they will certainly appreciate it.

I've got a couple of dab radios, reception is perfect in Douglas. No idea about reception in that area.

The stations you get are all BBC; normal radios 1-5, plus '1 asian' '6 music', 7 (comedy/plays etc), parliament and world service.

I bought one of these for my kitchen the other day. It's decent enough for £50, and will do until/when/if internet radio takes over.

The stations you get are all BBC; normal radios 1-5, plus '1 asian' '6 music', 7 (comedy/plays etc), parliament and world service.

It's decent enough for £50, and will do until/when/if internet radio takes over.

Until/when/if? All those stations you listed are already on internet radio, and thousands more. DABS already dead.

What they said..

(I hate having to agree with Slim!!!) :)

I've got shoutcast mce add in installed on my media center pc and the manx radio stream is 20kbps which sounds awful, compared to all the other stations most of which are 128kbps

Yep, its daft, I've not seen anything else stream so low. Such a shame.

Archived