Steam Packet Website

Owen

Just popped onto Steam Packet's website to find out what's happening to passengers who already have trips booked to Liverpool .. and guess what .. there's NO INFORMATION at all

No information about the crash

No information about alternative arrangements

No information for passengers

I particularly like their "Important News" page. Absolutely nothing about the fact that they're temporarily withdrawing their Liverpool link ..

Now I know I can pick up a phone and ask, but in today's information age you'd expect that there would be something on the website to let people know what's going on!

Oh .. and sometimes I get this:

steampacketerror.png

Sorry guys, just needed to vent

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha just show's you what kind of company they are honesty goes a long way and the website should have all the info people need who were booked on the cat.

Maybe the local fishing fleet could stand in for a few weeks :lol:

And any of you bloody comeovers wanting to go home you will have to wait a couple of weeks because there is no boat in the morning :angry:

This is the latest news release from the Steam Packet - I think parts of it have been posted elsewhere..

It does raise a couple of interesting questions that will no doubt be answered in the various investigations:

How could there be confusion about the number of passengers on board? Initially it was reported that there were 218 +20 this was revised to 274+20.

Why did it take at least 15 minutes to raise the alarm with the coastguard?

Following the incident involving the Steam Packet Company vessel Sea Express 1 at 11.40am on Saturday 03/02/ 07 the ship has now been transferred to the Birkenhead wet basin by SvitzerWijsmuller Salvage BV, a Dutch salvage company appointed to handle the salvage operation.

The vessel will remain in the wet basin before being transferred to a suitable dry-dock for repair.

All 274 passengers and 20 crew were successfully evacuated on Saturday, however 53 vehicles remain on the vessel and it is expected that they will be removed from the vessel later today. Every effort is being made to contact vehicle owners today to update them on the situation.

The weekend passenger ferry service between Douglas and Liverpool has been temporarily suspended until a suitable replacement vessel for the Sea Express 1 can be arranged. The twice daily return Douglas to Heysham service remains in operation as normal, and can easily accommodate all normal passenger demand. Customers booked on the Douglas to Liverpool route have been transferred onto the nearest alternative Douglas to Heysham sailing or return. All passengers affected will be contacted directly by the company. Coach transfers between Liverpool and Heysham will be arranged for foot passengers.

Passengers wishing to amend or check their travel arrangements should contact the Steam Packet Company reservations line on 0871 222 1 333

Issued 05/02/2007

wondering how much Macquarie are going to invest in the IOMSPCo with a contribution towards a replacewmnet / new vessel. haven't seen much evidence of any investment yet.

There not going to spend a dam thing. They have had plenty of time to buy a proper boat for this route. I don't think the iomsp want the Liverpool route anyway, this is a perfect opportunity for them to give it up. The last owners sold there stand by ship last year, that actually provided a reliable service in all weathers. The service this winter has just been so crap I don't think anyone wants to risk going to Liverpool be seacat anymore.

wondering how much Macquarie are going to invest in the IOMSPCo with a contribution towards a replacewmnet / new vessel. haven't seen much evidence of any investment yet.

There not going to spend a dam thing. They have had plenty of time to buy a proper boat for this route. I don't think the iomsp want the Liverpool route anyway, this is a perfect opportunity for them to give it up. The last owners sold there stand by ship last year, that actually provided a reliable service in all weathers. The service this winter has just been so crap I don't think anyone wants to risk going to Liverpool be seacat anymore.

I'm inclined to agree with you. Welcome to the age of shite airlinks and a new cut down sea link as well.

They will be quite happy to pull the route as they have gone out of their way to make that service a pain in the arse to use this year. They seem to ignore the fact that you need a boat that can sail in the sort of conditions here, not just stick on something that suits you and if it don't sail its tough shit.

having a mainly freight service to Heysham with some pax might be attractive but surely would be in breach of the single user agreement for the linkspan - I suspect the gov (assuming it has any clout) could start looking seriously at this - the Australian (+ prev) owners appear to have asset stripped everything else in that they own virtually no land (much of Douglas offices was sold to Gov), there is just a porta cabin at Liverpool and whereas Heysham is now being renovated (not before time) I'm not sure how much, if any, is owned by the Racket. They own one seaworthy boat, have a lease that I suspect they don't want on another + a third that may or may not be serviceable after an expensive refit/salvage operation.

If it is found that the 'Seacat' wasn't responsible for the accident, then wouldn't it be possible IOMSPCO to claim for repairs, or a new vessel via insurance?

- Simplified terms I know, but shouldn't maritime insurance be something similar to car insurance?

Maybe someone with knowledge on the legal side of the maritime side of things might be able post some more detailed & accurate info?

Obviously we won't know who/what was responsible for the accident until a full investigation is carried out - which might take months, or years :( .

I suspect the gov (assuming it has any clout) could start looking seriously at this

This incident was unavoidable, but its hard to see where they go from here. They have little back up, little incentive to spend on bringing another boat in, and Super Sea cat is not useable for a while. I seriously doubt they want to keep the Liverpool service open longer term (winter particularly) so this could be a perfect opportunity to pull it.

The TT festival could be very interesting this year, all those bookings and no boats.

Between the boats and the airlines the infrastructure we have here is rubbish, and you can hardly be surprised that nobody comes here now. The gov always used to manage these aspects well but I don't think many of them care what happens anymore. If an island cannot manage its transport network effectively it may as well give up.

Archived