What To Do With The Summerland Site

TheTool

Well with summerland being knocked down and cleared anyone got an idea what to put there.

Personally i would like to see a Snow Dome, that would be great and we could all learn how to ski and snow board before you go on holiday.

Link

This has to be a really good idea for us and it can be used year round.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No matter what is done it should incorporate a memorial to the poor souls who perished due to abysmally awful architectural design and choice of materials in the original building.

I disagree. I know if I died in a horrible accident somewhere I wouldn't want a plaque with my name on it associating me with the place forever. If there was a call for a memorial then it would be much better to have it in a peaceful place where relatives could visit rather than a plaque on the wall in the reception of some snowdome or whatever.

No matter what is done it should incorporate a memorial to the poor souls who perished due to abysmally awful architectural design and choice of materials in the original building.

I disagree. I know if I died in a horrible accident somewhere I wouldn't want a plaque with my name on it associating me with the place forever. If there was a call for a memorial then it would be much better to have it in a peaceful place where relatives could visit rather than a plaque on the wall in the reception of some snowdome or whatever.

I agree with lectro, an entertainment centre of any kind is totally unsuitable for a memorial to any kind of tragedy. It would be no more appropriate than, for example, placing a plaque in Bar George in Hill Street which - as St George's Hall - was used as a temporary morgue for the victims of the fire.

I've no doubt that there should be a memorial of some kind (if there isn't already?), but it ought to be somewhere more suitable for quiet reflection.

As for a snow dome - I think it's an excellent idea, if it would attract enough people to make it financially viable. I visited onesuch in Belgium many years ago with my family but, as Loki was the one with the skis and I was merely the one recording his efforts (and his pain!) on video, my pleasure was only a sort of 'second hand' one!

How about a swimming pool and a large open level with a stage and bar etc. Maybe they could put a cinema in there and a couple of basketball courts. Oooh, they could double them up as a roller rink too.

Good thinking! Pretty much covers everybody - perhaps add a nightclub too. I reckon the basement would do.

I like the Snow Dome with maybe a Ice Rink as well idea however i wouldn't think it would be cost effective in the long run. I would be awesome fun for the families though.

As regards to a Memorial, I don't see why something couldn't be put in the garden/park place at the bottom of Summerhill. Out of the way but close enough to be relevent and qiuet enough for people to visit in peace.

How about a block of expensive flats specially for tax-avoiding part-time residents plus an 'out of the catalogue' pub with an English or faux-Irish theme ?

To late, aplanning application as gone it to build 30 sheltered housing units just up the road at the old Follies resturant.

A multi story car park would be the ideal use, with a bike hire shop built into it so all the office workers could park out of town and get a bit of get fit by having a bike ride along the expensive bike lane on the prom. :lol:

Archived