Villa Collonnade

nipper

Further to recent publicity on Manx Radio, I don't think the question is how many times the present tenants have been given warning of what is happening, but more to do with the intended use of the retail outlets.

The tenants might have been written to a thousand times, but that is not the point.

Does a medical centre need to be in such a prestige site, and which will only be open during the week. Or should the current established shops be offered first refusal on the site.

So, a medical centre or tourist based shops.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shops imo. I thought that all along, but this morning the points raised on Manx Radio (patient parking, windows covered with blinds etc) I agreed with.

What really pees me off is the snooty attitude they've got towards these shops - just because they're touristy shops they think they can look down their noses and say there's no place for them in the new Villa complex. There's nothing wrong with those shops, they're damn busy and there are always tourists in them.

Agreed. Medical Centre doesn't need to be in a prime retail location. It should be set somewhere slightly off from the main drag. Perhaps 'What everyone wants store' (Market Street?) would be better with loads of parking right next to it.

I think the shops in the Arcade could do with a little facelift. But aprat from that I think they are being bullied out.

Have the IOM Government run a feasibility study and gained public opinion about the medical centre?

Shops, please.

These shops are individual and unique to Douglas. A walk down Strand Street today and you're greeted by dozens of shops you would find on any highstreet in Britain.

Apart, of course from Moocher's Market and a nearby cardshop.

I've almost forgotten that place's existence.

I think it's because it holds bitter memories for me.

I went to Norris's after saving up a stack of cash to buy a drum kit only to find some English tw@t had just phoned up an hour before and bought it for his 10-year-old son.

That was the end of my short-lived music career.

OMG is that place still open? It used to be alongside Allsorts disco (some memories that place held for me lol)

Does the Villa arcade still have the really old fashioned looking shops? Or did they trendy them up a bit?

OMG is that place still open? It used to be alongside Allsorts disco (some memories that place held for me lol)

Does the Villa arcade still have the really old fashioned looking shops? Or did they trendy them up a bit?

It's got to be SHOPS. Why does the council or whoever's responsible think they can just ruin small businesspeoples' livings? They only seem to care about big stores which is a shame. The Villa Arcade needs refurbishing and rents should be lowered but what people don't want there is a damn medicentre.

If they really need a doctor's surgery in that area, why not put it in one of the shops by Safeway's/Food4Less? At least there'd be less problem with parking and the more 'traditional seaside' shops in the Villa Arcade could be refurbished and allowed to continue supporting the illusion that we still have a tourist industry.

The shops sell cheap tat, pay minimal rent and whilst good for the tourist image presently look scruffy. They seem to want to be to be put back into a refurbished collonade at the same rent.

The question is not shops or medical centre (that ought to be a no-brainer given the location) but should the shops pay more appropriate rates once the place is done up.

The shops sell cheap tat, pay minimal rent and whilst good for the tourist image presently look scruffy. They seem to want to be to be put back into a refurbished collonade at the same rent.

The question is not shops or medical centre (that ought to be a no-brainer given the location) but should the shops pay more appropriate rates once the place is done up.

Fair enough, I suppose once they've done it all up their rent should go up. But as far as I'm aware, the issue IS shops or a medical centre.

The shops are aware that even if shops are decided upon they won't have an automatic right to come back to that spot, they will have to apply to be tenants along with anyone else who wants to run a shop there (though I doubt they'll be flocking...).

Oh, apart from Peter Norris'. Somehow he's automatically guaranteed to come back to that spot, don't know quite how.

As for them selling "tat", that's a matter of opinion, they sell souvenirs, they also sell loads of other stuff, clothes, ornaments, backpacks etc. There's also a hairdressers/barbers, a corporate wear shop, an ice cream place.

What they sell shouldn't really be of relevance though, you can't decide what businesses you want to rent to and what sort of shops you want for an area, it doesn't work like that! IMO anyway. They're going on about having "arty" shops there - where are they going to get these arty shops from? They haven't a clue!

Archived