Isle Of Man On Wikipedia

Ripsaw

I've just added (very badly - please feel free to improve on it!) Florrie Forde to the 'famous residents' section.

Incidentally, if we can have statues to Sir Norman (fair enough for always talking-up the island and for all the charity work he's done) and for George Formby (for making one film here) - why not one for the redoubtable Florrie?

Didn't Richard Adams, author of bunny story Watership Down, used to live on the island?

I'm sure I remember my Mum pointing out his house to me - it's a big solitary one you can see from the Peel - Ramsey road near the switchback as far as I can recall.

Or perhaps my brain cells are slowly dying off and my memories are beocming all fuzzy?

The late Fred Dibnah MBE, still has family on the Island - does that count?

also to maybe add -

Steve Colley

David Knight

Is the Rev. W. Awdry, Island of Sodor and Thomas the Tank Engine thing not linked with the Island - from his holidays or something?

Sir William Hilary

Capt. John Quilliam

Fletcher Christian

Didn't Richard Adams, author of bunny story Watership Down, used to live on the island?

I'm sure I remember my Mum pointing out his house to me - it's a big solitary one you can see from the Peel - Ramsey road near the switchback as far as I can recall.

Or perhaps my brain cells are slowly dying off and my memories are beocming all fuzzy?

Yep. My mum used to point this out too

I think they only deliver to site....... in the Lebanon!

(I used to work for a company which was one of the largest purchasers of condoms, for AIDS prevention, and a jovial aside was to have them delivered to site!)

catch is that without proper references it is mostly 'pop history' - eg the section on the three legs is misleading - the legs predate the motto by nearly 3 centuries - the 3legs are not found before the Scots took control etc etc - at least in www.manxnotebook.com I try to give sources for my comments

Archived