Working The Sea Programme

teapot

I was tickled to see that they put subtitles on for the Peterhead accent. i suppose its televisions fault really when we have no difficulty with a black guy from new york speaking in urban patois but a glaswegian from 300 miles away could be talking martian. [ got this point off of a Glaswegian playwright on telly this week]

Yes, I was greatly amused by the subtitles for the Scottish accents

My mother in law is Scottish and when I first met het I couldn't understand a word that she said. If she was talking with a smile on her face I would nod back at her and if she was frowning I would shake my head. It took me ages before I understood her

Aren't we talking about two different programmes here?

Peterhead? Trawlermen BBC1 7:00 pm

Steam Packet? Working the Sea BBC1 7:30 pm

Particularly enjoyed the Trawlermen series (subtitles and all lol) . They sure as hell earn their money.

Yes, I was greatly amused by the subtitles for the Scottish accents

My mother in law is Scottish and when I first met het I couldn't understand a word that she said. If she was talking with a smile on her face I would nod back at her and if she was frowning I would shake my head. It took me ages before I understood her

Who needs languages with that sort of understanding. Excellent :-))

The Scots can be very difficult to understand

/me stands back

I always used to enjoy watching "Rab C Nesbitt" with the Ceefax subtitles on. The BBC's attempts to transcribe the dialogue into recognisable words bordered on the surreal. But getting back to "Working The Sea", it was a pretty good documentary. Maybe they should make a fly-on-the-wall series about the adventures of the Steam Packet to replace "Airline" and "Airport"!

But getting back to "Working The Sea", it was a pretty good documentary. Maybe they should make a fly-on-the-wall series about the adventures of the Steam Packet to replace "Airline" and "Airport"!

Have you been to the Sea Terminal recently?

There is nobody to argue with - you just use the static terminals to book your ticket online and hope that there is a cleaner there to point out which pier the boat is leaving from.

That does not sound like good telly in my book.

You'd be better having Anneka Rice running round with the challenge of finding someone that works for the Steam Packet in the building.

Better still, move the venue to the outskirts of Douglas and call the programme Challenge Anagh Coar.

Or in the same vein of outrageous puns, how about a programme called Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares about the challenges facing restaurateurs in the north? If the BBC ever gives us the local TV channel we deserve, the possibilities are endless.

Better still, move the venue to the outskirts of Douglas and call the programme Challenge Anagh Coar.

Or in the same vein of outrageous puns, how about a programme called Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares about the challenges facing restaurateurs in the north? If the BBC ever gives us the local TV channel we deserve, the possibilities are endless.

We've had our own radio station for years, and I've never once heard mention of a Peel Session.

How many years have you been waiting for the right thread to post that? Still it was worth the wait!

I missed the beginning of this programme but was pleased to find I could see it again here:

BBC Website - Watch Again

I thought Dermot O'Toole did a good interview, who as well as being an officer with the Steam Packet, wrote a book on the Parish Walk and has completed the walk 15 times I think! Aye, and he isn't one of them that goes around calling himself 'Captain' when ashore like some buffoons from the merchant navy insist on doing on this Island!

Anyway, good programme and good publicity for the Isle of Man.

I like that statement in it:

"It costs 140 quid for a palette of fruit to get from South Africa to Liverpool, and 95 quid to get it from Liverpool to the Isle of Man - that's a situation that needs to be resolved"

Quite a bit of truth in that..

Oh, and they've got actors for the PSSR course now - nice idea...

Archived