Fuel On The Mountain Road

ade

I've just driven back over the Mountain, from Douglas to Ramsey. Apart from it being terribly foggy, there is a strip of fuel leaving a rainbow effect from about Hillberry to Kates / Keppel Gate. It is extremely slippery, specially at Brandish Corner and at Kates itself. There have been reports of a slippery road on Energy, and I called the Police, who told me there were already some calls in.

I've just driven back over the Mountain, from Douglas to Ramsey. Apart from it being terribly foggy, there is a strip of fuel leaving a rainbow effect from about Hillberry to Kates / Keppel Gate. It is extremely slippery, specially at Brandish Corner and at Kates itself. There have been reports of a slippery road on Energy, and I called the Police, who told me there were already some calls in.

That's a coincidence - I always come across lots of fools on the Mountain Road, especially in fog when 2 mph seems to be the only safe speed and the fog light stays illuminated for the next 8 days because the alert person who switched it on forgot all about it :D

Anyone reckon Brandish is soon going to be a 100mph bend?!! ;)

That's a coincidence - I always come across lots of fools on the Mountain Road, especially in fog when 2 mph seems to be the only safe speed and the fog light stays illuminated for the next 8 days because the alert person who switched it on forgot all about it :D

Nah, it'll be a 40mph as the DoT move the speed limit restriction out from Hillberry.....

What speed do you suggest when the only thing you can see is the white line about 10m in front of you?

I suggest travelling the speed you feel comfortable with. I do get frustrated with drivers who insist on driving on a clear dry day at very slow speeds. However, when it's foggy, icy, very wet, snowing, etc. I never have a problem with sitting behind someone who may feel less comfortable than me driving over the mountain in such conditions.

Spill allegedly went all the way from Sulby, up though Tholty Will to the Bungalow, then along the TT course as far as Governor's Hill. I know for sure one car was written off in a resulting crash, maybe both.

The driver responsible for the spill (or his employers) should be charged with something involving the words 'reckless' and 'endangering'.

Did I hear that the accident this morning at 7.25 was being attributed to the said slick?

I thought that it was another driver error case initially. I went through at 7.30 and it all appeared to be under control and met the cops flying through from Douglas at great speed. Slick, what slick ???

What speed do you suggest when the only thing you can see is the white line about 10m in front of you?

Can't be bothered doing the exact maths, but let's say at 30 mph your car covers about 10m in a second. On the rule of thumb (i) your eyesight and mobility are up to the job and you are concentrating (ii) you keep the windscreen clear and (iii) a 2 second gap is what is often recommended to the car in front, I would say 15 mph would be about right.

10m visibility is VERY severe and quite uncommon even for here IMO.

Archived