More Houses

FCMR

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Alledgedly) 600 on the waiting lists for first time buyers, more being priced out of the market day by day, Over 400 plots awaiting for the Planning Department...

Ex DoLGE Minister (Houghton) and former Planning Chairman (Henderson) calling a public meeting to decry the building of DoLGE housing...

Current Minister (Rimmington) showing a total lack of understanding how planning and house building works and blaming everyone except himself for the mess (see pink pull out in this week's Examiner)

C'est La Vie

Do the Manx Government get value for money, it seems that most of the Governments work is given to one Company to look after, this Company then feeds parts of the work off to its other Companies. In the past the Government always put the professional side of the works out to tender the same way as the building works.

As an example, the building of the new prison was sent out to tender to three Building Firms and the contract was awarded on the lowest price. Yet the project Management of this Contract was given to a Ramsey based Company that has other sister Companies, this same Company is also linked to the New sorting Office and Onchan new School plus many other Government Contracts. Do we only have one Company that perform these works on the Island or is something else going on behind closed doors, Is the Tax Payer getting a good return for his money.

I wonder do people remove themselves from the waiting lists? I'm not exactly mr popular, but I know two people who are leaving the island after redundancy, and one that left at the start of the year. Anyone else noticed a lot of people departing?

We are working on a property and one of the girls has been telling us that she is going back to the UK as the firm she works for are not renewing contractsThree out of the five flats is this property are up for sale due to people leaving. Broadway appartmets, there are 33 of them one man has bought 22, no one moved in yet, why.

Its not more first time buyer houses that we need its affordable larger family homes. The Government should release some land and sell the plots off to people that want to built their own home. Building a new home for yourself is cheaper than buying a home from a developer, at the end of the day you get what you want for less money.

That reminds me, I need to take myself off the list as I just bought a house. I haven't bothered so far as I seem to remember being sent an update form about a year ago and assumed I would get another one soon!

So 599 on the list now!

Its not more first time buyer houses that we need its affordable larger family homes. The Government should release some land and sell the plots off to people that want to built their own home. Building a new home for yourself is cheaper than buying a home from a developer, at the end of the day you get what you want for less money.

But surely if people can't afford to come in at the bottom (first-time buyers), then there'll be a tumble effect where people can't move up the ladder as they can't sell their current house.

I'd have thought there should be two sets of building going on - as the average salary for the year to June 2003 was £24,610, this equates to just under £100,000 at the normal single person's 4 times multiplier for a mortgage, so even the latest Heritage aparments would leave a shortfall of £35,000. Perhaps there should be apartments at around the £100,000 (even if only one double bedroom) and then you get the smaller houses that the DLGE does at around the £135,000 mark.

I'd love to have the opportunity to build myself - if the land was cheap enough. I've even seen a kit home that is within a reasonable price range and would probably even fit in over here from Skye homes.

I read somewhere that there was an old Manx Law which stated that anyone who builds a house in a single day and lights a fire in the hearth by nightfall, can claim the house as their own and live there happily ever after.

I wonder if this law still stands, the nights are drawing in now though but I might give it a shot next year at the summer solstice if it does. Other than that, I once went to a conference on building limes and a man from Ireland told us all about his house made of straw, timber and rendered in lime which he built all by himself. I can't see it getting past the fire officer myself, nevermind the ringies you'd have living in the walls.

All these pathetic thoughts go through my mind when I think about owning my own house. I don't earn nearly enough money so it's probably not even worth wasting my time thinking about, I'll just wait for me Dad to pop in clogs in about 50 years time.

a man from Ireland told us all about his house made of straw, timber and rendered in lime which he built all by himself.

grand designs a few weeks ago featured a couple in france building their house the same way. it was really, really interesting! they had problems 'fitting' in but when they started to build this house the french warmed to him because he was the crazy man with the straw house. was totally interesting.

Home builds all very nice, until you try to get tradesman to work on them. I'm renovating property at the mo, and we have a git of a time finding people to work on jobs smaller than 200 house estates. Luckily I have a good builder/joiner on site at the mo, but I waited months for a plumber on my last job and in the end had to compromise the on the plan to do the plumbing work and gave up waiting.

Also wanted to buy a complete central heating system, and couldn't even get an engineer in to quote, let alone fit the thing...

I really, really wish I'd taken a trade back when I left school. At the time all the careers advice was that tradesmen were cold and smelly and earned fek all, and the best people worked in offices. Now I work in an office, and can't afford to retrain. With my own renovations I'm reduced to a labourer hulkin rubble while the builders do the rest. Sucks.

Archived