Fluoride In The Water

doodlebug

I believe that this topic is raising its ugly head again at Tynwald. And I also believe that it must be a foregone conclusion because apparently there are already fluoride tanks at the water works. Anybody else object strongly to being force-fed a toxic industrial waste and having no way to avoid it? I don't even buy fluoridated toothpaste and my childrens' teeth are fine.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't there going to be a public consultation first?

"Manx people, do you want to reduce exposure to excessive speed tooth decay?"

No.

Putting fluoride in the water will not reduce exposure to tooth decay. Tooth decay is caused by eating the wrong things - sweets, fizzy drinks etc. If people want to prevent tooth decay it's really simple. I don't want my choice to avoid fluoride to be taken away from me.

Putting fluoride in the water will not reduce exposure to tooth decay. Tooth decay is caused by eating the wrong things - sweets, fizzy drinks etc. If people want to prevent tooth decay it's really simple. I don't want my choice to avoid fluoride to be taken away from me.

If you read about this on the the net i don't think its worth it.

There is more than enough cancer on the island with out more risks

Link

What the World Health Organization has to say: Link

The level of dental caries (measured as the mean number of Decayed, Missing or Filled teeth) falls from seven at a fluoride concentration of 0.1 mg l–1 to around 3.5 at a fluoride concentration of 1.0 mg l–1. As fluoride concentration increased further (up to 2.6 mg l–1) dental decay continues to fall, but only slightly (Dean, 1942; USPHS, 1991).

In 1987, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) reviewed the available data concerning the carcinogenicity of fluoride and concluded that there was inadequate evidence of carcinogenicity in experimental animals (IARC, 1987). Two separate sets of long-term fluoride carcinogenicity studies in rats and mice have been published in the 1990s (NTP, 1990; Bucher et al., 1991; Maurer et al., 1990, 1993). These studies have been extensively reviewed with the general conclusion that they do not provide adequate evidence to conclude that fluoride is carcinogenic (USNRC, 1993; WHO, 1996; IPCS, 2002).

There have also been a significant number of epidemiological studies examining the possible association between various cancers and exposure to fluoride in drinking-water. However, in spite of the large number of studies conducted in a number of countries, there is no consistent evidence to demonstrate any association between the consumption of controlled fluoridated drinking-water and either morbidity or mortality from cancer (USPHS, 1991; USNRC, 1993; WHO, 1996; IPCS, 2002).

I'm not doubting the study Roger has linked to - but the epidemeological effect is scarcely measurable and has not been reproduced in other studies - life is carcenogenic.

People don't look after their teeth - reducing tooth decay by 50% is a huge benefit. I have difficulty seeing the problem.

Chinahand, the 50% reduction claim is rubbish. York report was the most extensive study ever of all of the available material relating to fluoridation, claims amongst this were that fluoridation could reduce decay rates by up to 50%.

Professor Sheldon, Chairman of the York Advisory Group did not agree with the claims or claims made by UK public health departments after his group had finished the review as you can see-

Prof. Sheldon LINK

I think adding Flouride to the water is a good idea. I can't see anything wrong with the Health Services (who don't know a thing about my disposition to cancer, kidney stones, bone disease etc. through taking in Flouride) prescribing it for me everyday. I would also be happy for them to add tranquillisers, vitamins, antibiotics, contraceptives, laxatives or anything else to my water supply - as I'm sure only they know what is best for me.

I'd also like them to add Bromide to school water supplies (which might help cut down on some of these teenage pregancies).

People don't look after their teeth - reducing tooth decay by 50% is a huge benefit. I have difficulty seeing the problem.

If you want to consume fluoride then ask your dentist for a prescription for fluoride tablets. Toothpaste packages have instructions for us to avoid swallowing the toothpaste, and to especially avoid letting children swallow it. This is because fluoride can kill. By putting it in the water the amount of fluoride we consume will be completely uncontrollable.

I agree that people don't look after their teeth, but why should the rest of us be poisoned because some people don't care? I look after my teeth, and make sure that my children look after theirs - they brush their teeth properly twice a day, and don't eat sweets.

If you want to consume fluoride then ask your dentist for a prescription for fluoride tablets. Toothpaste packages have instructions for us to avoid swallowing the toothpaste, and to especially avoid letting children swallow it. This is because fluoride can kill. By putting it in the water the amount of fluoride we consume will be completely uncontrollable.

Be careful suggesting that fluoride in your water or toothpaste can kill you, without suggesting exactly what you mean.

You run the risk of debasing your argument...

Administering a drug without consent is battery in the eyes of the law.

Just thought I would put a little personal experience to this subject.

Most of you know I'm a Yank who's been here for five years now. I look after my teeth very well with brushing twice a day, flossing, going to the dentist regularly, etc. And I'm sure most of you are aware that flouride is in the water in the states and has been for a very long time (i think it was the early 60's that they started adding it?)

I have never had a cavity or needed a filling my whole life. I move over here, keep my same dental hygene routine and within the first two years of living here I have three cavities and therefore needed three fillings.

Is this a coincidence? I find it hard to believe.

I can, however, completely understand why people are uneasy about it. The very thought of something being pumped into the water supply for everyone's consumption seems unnatural. However, it really makes a world of difference for people's dental health. Does it cause cancer? As someone stated earlier - life is carcenogenic. Levels of cancer between this part of the world and the states seem to be more or less the same so I think we need to look at the overall picture.

Just my two cents

Archived