"douglas Golf Course Could Be Lost"

%age

Manx Radio report click here

This would be terrible because if there isn't a golf course they will have to be lots of houses on the land instead and then they would have to make a new Douglas Golf Course around by the Incinerator/"Road Island" like what has been planned for.

But if the present golf course is going to stay then the land that was planned for the new golf course will just have to have lots of houses built on it won't it.

A bit of a win-win situation for the developers and some in the Corporation I suppose.

I'd personally rather a golf course was built on than agricultural land, so it's fine with me. We need more housing stock, only gypsies wan't to live in andreas :) so why not? Not like the islands short of golf courses per head of population.

I generally agree.

However, it is the means as to how things are done that make me wonder.

It is as if the Island is a huge chess board, or perhaps a game of poker is a more appropriate analogy, with all the shenanigans and press releases and 'do this or we will do this' sort of thing.

In fact no, not chess or poker, it is Monopoly.

Another question might also be how the f**k does it cost £1.5m to build a Clubhouse? That is an unbelievable amount of money for such a small project.

Very often of course, the majority of the cost of a building is the purchase cost of the land on which it is built.....

I too; with a tinge of regret having played up there a few times and enjoyed the fantastic views; have to agree it would be an ideal place to build new houses.

On the assumption that the area available up there is around 0.5 square miles (around 60 odd hectares I think) and the usual rules are for about 30 houses per hectare - then there is plenty of room up there for a mix of houses (around 1500 to 2000 dwellings). There is room for: extended social housing on the Pulrose/Anacoar side, through first time buyer houses to 3/4 bedroom (2nd/3rd time buyer) type housing. This could allow for phased developments (around a quarter to a third of the government's planned build toward 2016) whilst not substantially affecting the countryside - and a gradual move that would not substantially affect the housing market.

Why not just leave this open space as it is!!

This land belongs to the people of Douglas and the so called Council leader needs never to forget that fact! If he wants to get rid of this area, then he needs to consult with the people that put him in his high and mighty position!!!

Last 10

There is little enough open space in Douglas as it is Last ten is right. I remember there being something about HH doing something with Pulrose Golf Course - not sure of the details but there was something...I thought they had been told "No" but I guess not. Well its sad, more horrid homes to look at when on the train, as if the minging industrial estate at Pulrose wasnt bad enough...

Flashback - Monday, 13th November 2006 - public election meeting at douglas golf club. Question comes up if candidates are in favour of houses on golf course or not - all candidates agree that golf course should be kept - audience approves. Ergo: contact your MHK.

Why not just leave this open space as it is!!

This land belongs to the people of Douglas and the so called Council leader needs never to forget that fact! If he wants to get rid of this area, then he needs to consult with the people that put him in his high and mighty position!!!

Last 10

agreed - leave it as open space, and let the developers buid on some land near the incinerator.

If the golf course is developed there will be an unbroken mess of dull housing stretching from the Old Castletown Road to Hillberry

There needs to be plenty of green space to make the urban areas pleasant otherwise we end up with the endless sterile suburbia common in America

Lets have some proper planning and not just greedy development

That's what I meant, leave it alone and have some proper planning.

But you are contradicting yourself cheeky boy, because if you mean they are to leave it alone then you wouldn't need planning!

Where does the planning come into this??

Last 10

That's what I meant, leave it alone and have some proper planning.

But you are contradicting yourself cheeky boy, because if you mean they are to leave it alone then you wouldn't need planning!

Where does the planning come into this??

Last 10

I would expect any development of the land to have to come through a local plan process, which would be planning. This would decide the future of the land after full consultation and public inquiry.

Archived