You Will Have Kerb-side Re-cycling

spock

Monitoring the Manx Radio programme just broadcast the politician Dudley Butt has informed the interviwer that kerb-side re-cycling and collection will commence in September 2008 for Douglas Braddan and Onchan residents.

The start-up costs of the scheme for year one are expetced to be £500,000.

Costs can be defrayed by the employment of the Waste Inspector who will have the authority to issue a fixed penalty charge (£100?) to householders for non-compliance of the sorting requirements prior to the waste being collected.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going ahead because the island has to meet waste standards, this means the island has to recycle at least 30% of its waste.

It will slowly come in within the next 2 to 3 years.

It means a reduction the the energy from waste plant.

Best get into the habit of doing it though - it will be a law soon. Here in Essex we have a black wheelie bin (non-recyclable waste), a brown wheelie bin (garden waste), a green box (bottles, tins, foil and old clothes), a papers bag, a cardboards bag and a plastic bottles bag. It isn't compulsory to use them all yet but it will be, along with the silly fines that come with them if ever you put a plastic bottle in the wrong bin and god help you if it wasn't rinsed out and you left the bottle top on (wrong kind a plastic apparently).

Oh and they always empty the Green box (bottles, glass, tins, etc.) on my road at silly o'clock. I'm not the best getter upperer in the world. My chosen time is roughly 9am (ish) and all you hear for about 45 minutes is clank clank smash clank from 7 am-ish. I do how ever have a solution to this very annoying problem. Have a sound system on the recycling lorry playing some rythmic tunes so the binmen can chuck the stuff into the truck in time with the music. A happy tune and a happy Narna man.

:cool:

Well, I lived in the London Borough of Sutton, for God knows how long and they were one of the first to introduce the system. At first there was uproar, how could you leave a bin for two weeks with dirty waste before it was emptied? But it actually worked very well, mainly because you put your dirty waste into one bin and all your recyclable into another, and that included plastic bottles, paper, cardboard, cans, everything except glass, someone else did the sorting (I really don't know how).

The 'dirty' bin wasn't a problem, because if you dealt with it the way it was intended you would never have that much dirty waste and the lid would always be shut, keeping out smells and flies.

The 'dirty' bin wasn't a problem, because if you dealt with it the way it was intended you would never have that much dirty waste and the lid would always be shut, keeping out smells and flies.

The 'dirty' black bin is emptied every week. The brown 'Garden Waste' bin is emptied once a fortnight. It used to be all compostable materials unfortunately people couldn't get the hang of 'Raw' vegetable material only and would dump all their cooked scraps into the bin. Not good. Now we have a composter for all our compostable materials. Shame we don't have a garden big enough to warrant a 50 gallon composter and all of it's nutritious goods.

Any one want any compost?

In Leicestershire, we had 1 box, 2 different wheely bins then 2 further dustbins with different coloured sacks in them and a composter. We had a large garden, so apart from the irritation factor and two weekly collections, it seemed to work. The dirty black wheely bin used to get whiffy during the last of the two weeks. I used to resent tossing about washing stuff and going outside in the rain putting things in there rightful place. I think some people with small gardens would have a bit of a nightmare though.

It's a real luxury to chuck everything in one bin here. I recycle glass and papers but hope these get recycled on the island, not shipped off island! Someone must know? No point trying to recycle 30% of our waste if we have to ship it anywhere.

I'm titzed off with all of this recycling rubbish (no pun intended). Why should Joe Public have to spend time routing around in his bin or sorting rubbish when the real problem is with the supermarkets that produce what goes in your bin in the first place. Similarly, technology exists for sorting waste at the sorting/collection plant, and as for washing tin cans - FFS! how much energy is that going to waste across the island? I can think of far better uses of my time.

From Which Magazine: "Lidl was the worst offender when it came to total volume of packaging used, with a basket of groceries using 799.5g. Marks & Spencer used the second highest total amount of packaging at 782g for a basket of 29 goods. Morrisons was third worst, with 779g per basket, the LGA said. On average, 5% of the total weight of all the shopping baskets' content was packaging. Tesco used the least packaging by weight: 684.5g per basket...In our results, the most successful stores at cutting down on their carrier bags are Tesco (down 15% in 12 months), Waitrose (down 14%) and Somerfield (down 10%). At the same time, however, some stores are seeing an increase in plastic bag use – Aldi (up 16%) and Marks and Spencer (up 10% to 15%)."

The island is in a unique position, and has the opportunity: over the coming years to grant operating preference to those supermarkets that operate using the most efficient packaging. There really is no technological excuse for unnecessary and non-biodegradable packaging these days, it's all down to lazy business and passing the problem (and work) onto Joe Public.

The moment I get any such fine, I shall be unpacking all my food on the Tesco/M&S counter just after I have paid for it - and leaving the packaging with them in protest. In fact I might just do that a couple of times this coming year.

The start-up costs of the scheme for year one are expetced to be £500,000.

Costs can be defrayed by the employment of the Waste Inspector who will have the authority to issue a fixed penalty charge (£100?) to householders for non-compliance of the sorting requirements prior to the waste being collected.

does that mean they expect to issue 5000 £100 fines per year to pay for the inspector ? :P

I'm titzed off with all of this recycling rubbish (no pun intended). Why should Joe Public have to spend time routing around in his bin or sorting rubbish when the real problem is with the supermarkets that produce what goes in your bin in the first place.

No supermarket forces you to buy their wares at gunpoint. You, as a consumer, can make the choice. It's amusing that you bleat about regulation forcing pubs to ban smoking, but are perfectly happy for supermarkets to be regulated.

Similarly, technology exists for sorting waste at the sorting/collection plant, and as for washing tin cans - FFS! how much energy is that going to waste across the island? I can think of far better uses of my time.

It's always better for it to be sorted at source. Some kinds of recyclables are very hard to separate, it's been mentioned above. Compostables is a good example. Washing cans, you use the last of your dishwater to wash cans/bottles, not a new sink, so no extra energy.

I'm titzed off with all of this recycling rubbish (no pun intended). Why should Joe Public have to spend time routing around in his bin or sorting rubbish when the real problem is with the supermarkets that produce what goes in your bin in the first place. Similarly, technology exists for sorting waste at the sorting/collection plant, and as for washing tin cans - FFS! how much energy is that going to waste across the island? I can think of far better uses of my time.

One of the reasons for the monumental waste volumes is because people don't have to suffer the consequences of their consumption. You shove everything in the bin, it's collected frequently, and forgotten about by the individual. Self sorting the recyclable waste and collecting it less frequently focuses the issue of dealing with waste back onto the consumer. When you have to deal with it afterwards, you are more likely avoid that hard plastic container full of grapes in favour of the loose ones.

This isn't something we're pioneering, this has been done before, and it's been proven to not only increase recycling but also to reduce the total waste output per household.

I live in Hampshire and we only have 2 bins, a general household waste bin, and a recycling bin- and we put everything that can be recycled into the recycling bin- so cardboard, glass, tins, cans, plastics, paper all goes in there- this gets emptied every other week and our general one gets emptied every week. Also now you have to take your bin in as soon as it gets emptied else you get a fine for not putting it away & obstructing the pavement (not sure how this works if your out at work all day though?!)

Archived