[BBC News] DoT 'satisfied' with ferry times

Newsbot

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall the rather heated town meeting in Peel over Crookall's dept's impostion of disk parking (since rescinded) - I got the impression of someone distinctly out of touch with his constituents' feelings (compounded by the acceptance by the chair of the Peel Commisioners, to which Tim had belonged) that they had also lost contact and that much improved consultaion etc would be brought in. I'm beginning to think he may be a one-term MHK.

I don't know anything about Mr Crookall so make no comment about him but sometimes I would expect an MHK to have to make an unpopular stance on some issues for the greater public good. Unfortunately I get the impression that most of them are too concerned about keeping their elderly voters happy to be so bold.

Why would some one complain to the OFT about it ? They would be the last people I have thought about contacting.

I guess the clue is in their name, if you have a consumer issue they are supposedly your first port of call. Having said that it wouldn't cross my mind to go to them. I would also assume that the OFT can only look at their user agreement and see whether anything has been invalided.

I find it incredible that Isle of Man Travelwatch, an organization which claims to be "Representing and Promoting the Interests of Isle of Man Passengers" has issued a press release broadly supportive of the changes (see Travelwatch Press Release)

Sea Containers, when it owned the Steam Packet, promised that when Lady of Mann was sold it would be replaced by a larger vessel to meet the Island's growing future needs, as the then existing fleet (Ben my Chree, the Lady and a fastcraft) was deemed insufficient.

Shouldn't someone be asking the Steam Packet to explain when or if it intends to keep those promises made by its previous owners?

A bit like asking the current MHK's when they are going to live up to the promises of their predecesors.

On a more serious note, however, I believe the user agreement stipulates an investment in the fleet of £26 million by 2015 (of which £18 or so million needs to be spent by 2012). So maybe we'll start hearing whispers soon.

Unless the agreement is broken by either party of course.

And then, of course, we will be besiged by the many 'not for profit' shipping lines which are just waiting for the opportunity to come to the rescue of our little Island.

Archived