Baby Seals R.i.p

Tango

I was down at the Calf of Man yesterday when I was approached by a young family in some distress. They had found a baby seal on the rocks below the cafe (what!!! a seal at the calf of Man??) and were worried about its safety. I think they asked me as I had just come out of the water, wearing a wetsuit. They thought I was its mother?

Anyway, they showed me where it was. I say WAS because when I got there some f**kwit had picked it up and was in the proccess of carrying said seal pup down to the water. Well, there was shouting. I tried to explain that seal pups lose contact with their mothers all the time and that if they had left it where it was then when the crowds had gone home to watch the Simpsons mummy would have come to get baby. I then explained that they may as well have clubbed the pup over the head and skinned it for winter gloves because by touching it it was dead anyway.

Please, please, please. If you see a seal pup "abandoned" just stay away, well away.

If you touch it, you've killed it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I say WAS because when I got there some f**kwit had picked it up and was in the proccess of carrying said seal pup down to the water. Well, there was shouting. I tried to explain that seal pups lose contact with their mothers all the time and that if they had left it where it was then when the crowds had gone home to watch the Simpsons mummy would have come to get baby. I then explained that they may as well have clubbed the pup over the head and skinned it for winter gloves because by touching it it was dead anyway.

Is everyone supposed to have this knowledge of seals that you have? Not something I was aware of. Cool it with the attitude, no need. All you probably did was upset any kids that were listening by saying all that. It may well all be true but there's a time and a place for explanations about the harsh realities of nature.

Lucy, did you have a bit of a smoke before you wrote that? Upset the kids? I should hope so!

It's got nothing to do with having an extensive knowledge of seals, it's common sense.

Do people on this site just sit and wait for something to argue about?

Do people on this site just sit and wait for something to argue about?

I enjoyed your well informed rant about seal pups, but being a diver I new that already.

I do agree with Lucy though, not everyone has the valuable knowledge you seem to have on sea life.

The answer to your question is, people don't wait for something to argue about but don't expect to post in the way you did and not expect anyone to pass comment, because they will.

Once upon a time, a handsome prince did spy some little children who were weeping. The prince approached the kiddies where upon he was dismayed to learn that a ickle baby seal had lost it's mummy.

"what shall we do?" cried the children.

But it was too late. A nasty ignorant townie had made off with the pup and was heading toward the sea.

"oh gosh, what have you done you silly man?" yelled the handsome prince.

The Townie, thinking he was helping, had doomed the tiny, tiny, cute baby seal to sleep for a thousand years.

"you stupid tw*t" muttered the prince(under his breath so to protect the delicate ears of the young children).

Everyone went home end lived happily ever after......unlike the seals mummy who will need 6-12 months of counciling and therapy.

The moral of this story? Next time you see a child in a pram outside M&S - leave it there.

THE END.

Is that better Lucy?

It's got nothing to do with having an extensive knowledge of seals, it's common sense.

Common sense is looking both ways before you cross the road, knowing not to stick your hand in the fire etc etc. "Abandoned" seals are not an every day occurence, it doesn't make you a f*ckwit if you don't know you shouldn't go near them.

i thought it was relatively common knowledge that you don't interfere with mother nature's wild animals. i think there is a difference if a bird with a broken wing is in your back garden, but wandering around with seal pups seems like something you shouldn't interfere with....

but that's just me.

Archived