Basking Sharks

Static

I was out shark watching on Saturday and the first two we came across decided to come and "play" with us. We had shut off the engine some distance from them and they came and swam around and under our boat.

I'm a pretty naff photographer and only have a Casion Elixim 8MP point and click camera. So I was dead chuffed when some of my shots came out well. These are reduced size ones for the works network.

CIMG2966.jpg

CIMG2967.jpg

CIMG2978.jpg

CIMG2968.jpg

CIMG2965.jpg

Thanks for the great feedback.

would have loved to have seen the sharks in the bay this morning..i never get donw there until evening though.

Saturday was wonderful..we saw 15 sharks in total and at one point, we were staitonry and counted 12 in a big radius around us.

as Chinahand says, they are fantastic animals and to see them that close was wonderful.

Great piccies, awsome beasts.

Was chatting to a friend whilst fishing for mackerel from Peel harbour last year & commented on how slow they seemed to move -

'That must be why they're called 'Basking' sharks' he said, I mentioned at least they won't bite you.

his reply 'They might give you a nasty suck though'.

I must get round to going on a trip to watch the sharks.

One of those things that I always fancied doing, but never actually got round to sorting out.

Myself and my wife went to New Zealand 3 years ago for hols and went swimming with the wild dolphins off the coast of Kaikoura.

It's an incredible feeling to have a 500+ pod of dolphins swimming around you, skimming a few feet past you and reacting when you make sounds into the water.

A truly incredible experience

@ MBX - seeing the sharks here is a great experience but yours beats it hands down in my opinion......swimming with Dolphins is something I've wanted to do for years...and my daughter since she was 5...just not got round to it, yet!

Archived