[BBC News] Manx flagship's decade of service

Newsbot

it has an almost 100% reliability record.

Which is almost believable

and not as fast or good looking as her predecessor of 100 years ago

Ben-my-Chree_2F-04.jpg

but carries more cars and lorries (and fewer planes).

I think I am lucky enought to have sailed regular on the Ben and King Orry in the late 60's, what beautiful ships they where.

Nostalgia....brass and wood, kippers in the dining room, waiters and linen....views of the engine room, promenade decks

The Isle of Man Steam Packet's Ben-My-Chree marks ten years of service in the Irish Sea.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7510302.stm

Ben-my-Chree_2F-04.jpg

but carries more cars and lorries (and fewer planes).

Ben-my-Chree_2F-04.jpg

I won't argue with that!

I believe that the "Ben" holds the current record for the Douglas-Liverpool crossing, completing it in 2 hours 16 minutes.

I think I am lucky enought to have sailed regular on the Ben and King Orry in the late 60's, what beautiful ships they where.

Nostalgia....brass and wood, kippers in the dining room, waiters and linen....views of the engine room, promenade decks

real cruising. I had an uncle who was an engineer and was treated to a trip round the engine rooms wherever we sailed, propoer ships and proper service - where did it go wrong.

:rolleyes:

Needless quoting FTW

I believe that the "Ben" holds the current record for the Douglas-Liverpool crossing, completing it in 2 hours 16 minutes.

I believe that when the first seacat arrived they did a run in well under 2 hours, then got the fuel bill.

I believe that when the first seacat arrived they did a run in well under 2 hours, then got the fuel bill.

The SNAEFELL completed a 90-minute trip to Fleetwood when she first arrived as SEACAT ISLE OF MAN...and I think that time too a rope got sucked into the engines.

I was working on-board Seacat Denmark during a summer season the late 90's and we had one of those perfeect days where the Irish sea was like a millpond i think we did it in 2h 10m or something, didn't help though as no one was expecting us that early & they didn't have anyone to man the ropes or the ramps in Douglas harbour !

Archived