Trams And Other Things

bluemonday

Regarding

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Horse-tram-...fall.4789184.jp

Some interesting statements by Mr Christian

in particular

We are a declining tourist industry,' he added. 'The numbers are down year on year. There is no one here in the first two weeks of May.

and

'After the Manx Grand Prix we should shut down the promenade, close our shutters and close up for the winter. There is nobody here.'

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you there, David C even brought that up in Council as well.

I believe the Trams should stay, but they SHOULD be run as a business would.

Smart Staff, Running times that suit the general public not the staff.

I also feel the horses are not used long enough, 2 runs up and down the prom is not a days work for a breed of horse used to ploughing a field all day.

Stephen Pitts also stated that the times should be changed to run later into the evening, I agree with this as well.

But any more ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Another idea, you have a captive audience and staff that should have local knowledge. Train them to entertain the passengers, they're not a realistic transport option so should act as ambassadors to the island and impart local information and keep visitors (the only people that use them) happy. A welcome in Manx and some chat about local events.

What do they do now, £2 all the way, no we don't have any literature/souvenirs for sale, try the sea terminal, how the fuck am I meant to know the timetable, bleeding comeover.

Get real and try selling the trams properly. Our only truly mobile tourism attraction.

I agree with you there.

It needs to be changed and improved or they will continue a drain on Douglas ratepayers.

The real problem also comes when ideas are suggested and often met with negativeness from staff, in my opinion you sometimes just have to do as your told at work.

Lonan, no more short prom trips..lol or the fact you will have to drive carefully along the prom.. ^_^

The fact that they already f*ck up the traffic while they're running during the day.

They are an anachronism that ought to have been put to rest long ago.

Unless we have a thriving tourist industry - which we're unlikely to ever have again - they serve no purpose whatsoever.

The trams can end up in a museum and, as far as I'm concerned, the horses could provide a new, tasty burger for Cheeky Boy to serve up!

They are a bit of a waste of space, it would probably be cheaper for the government to pay carriage fees to a taxi driver to slowly take the three purple-haired women that you only ever see on the trams up the prom. Dogs can't take a dump on the beach but the horses can lay cables up and down to prom willy-nilly.

as far as I'm concerned, the horses could provide a new, tasty burger for Cheeky Boy to serve up!

I sincerely hope you're not serious with this disgusting suggestion - burgers made of them horses? They breathe exhaust fumes all day - bound to taste crap.

Another idea, you have a captive audience and staff that should have local knowledge. Train them to entertain the passengers, they're not a realistic transport option so should act as ambassadors to the island and impart local information and keep visitors (the only people that use them) happy. A welcome in Manx and some chat about local events.

What do they do now, £2 all the way, no we don't have any literature/souvenirs for sale, try the sea terminal, how the fuck am I meant to know the timetable, bleeding comeover.

Get real and try selling the trams properly. Our only truly mobile tourism attraction.

I agree. I've been on some great trips elsewhere where people take an interest in what they're doing-make people feel welcome-explain features on the route etc etc etc

It needs somebody with flair and imagination. So I can't see Douglas Corporation making a go of it.

Archived