Steam Packet

John Wright

I missed the boat last night with passenger, dogs, motor home and trailer. Reason, one dog had stroke, aged 17, and she is going to be put to sleep this morning. As a result we also missed our Portsmouth to Caen conection this am.

I need to re book Steam Packet before I rebook Brittany Ferries

I ring at 09.00 to change to tonight, explained circumstances. Booking nuimber, well I never print off the paper so no go, credit card details, well I wasn't giving those and who alone knows what card I used 3 months ago. can't do it, Data protection. No I explain, that is not what daat protection is about. It would be dangerous for me to give out my CC details for half a dozen cards, I agree they shouldn't give out passenger details, but I am sure that I was the only person, with my name with a passenger called x and three dogs and a motor home and a trailer who did not travel last night. I speak to supervsior, no its all jobs worth, but they can do it if I turn up in person, not over the phone. Will that cost more? yes! Of course the fact the ticket agent has the deatils of te card I paid for on her screen is a security breach and means my data is insecure. They never warned me of that

I call back with the booking number from my e-mail confirmation. not printed off, cancel one dog, then told boat is full. Place me on standby, No rules say cannot place on standby over the phone, you have to come down. We cannot print off a copy of your ticket unless you are physically there to give to the loading operations manager. Once you are here you have to stay in the terminal!!!!!!!. What from 09.30 to 19.45?

Can you not operate a standby list from phone calls listing them in order, No. Blue Riband does, ask Lisa, Lisa does not work Saturdays.

The last time I booked late in day I wanted a cabin. It was 09.00 and I wanted one for 14.15. Cannot book. Why not. We print off at 08.00 and pass on board. Does the boat not have fax/telex/internet. Can you not print off the next sailing bookings at Heysham? No!

The final straw this morning, lady admitted it was a jobsworth, if she complied with my request she would lose her job, and it was how it had always been done. The rules were sacrosanct however ill thought out, however illogical, however designed to defeat customer service.

Result

I have harrowing day. I cannot rebook Britanny Ferries. If there were competition I would never use the Steam Packet, ever. And I have been one of its staunchest supporters on here. The whole customer experience from booking to checking in to boarding, to food on board is a mess and needs sorting now.

I am going to turn up at 17.00 and try stand by and if I don't get on will trty again in morning. There is now no space on Brittany until Monday anyway with two dogs. I will go Calais, 20 sailings during day with P&O or Sea France. Shame tunnel is still closed

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I missed the boat last night with passenger, dogs, motor home and trailer. Reason, one dog had stroke, aged 17 and she is going to be put to sleep this morning. As a result we aslo missed our Portsmouth to Caen conectiion this am.

Who in their right mind travels to the Island these days? I come over twice a year to visit my mother, but no longer look forward to it since BA pulled out.

And the boat? Never again - never, ever again.

If, although i am sure you already have it, want Mark Woodwards email address etc PM me - I had a similar incident earlier this year and went straight to him.

To give him his due, he did sort it out for me, and said that lessons would be learned.

clearly they have not been, but hey thats not suprising.

I am also sorry to hear about your dog...

Thanks for the sympathy

I have calmed down but I will be raising it at board level. Above Woodwards head.

Levi was a 3/4 Jack Russel 1/4 Fox hound bitch. She had one lovely litter.

We have two unrelated wire haired bitches, much younger.

Levi was a real charcater, she wandered far and wide, as well as travelled far and wide with us. Nose into everything but loveable. A good ratter.

UNtil last week she was fine, old. slower, sleeping lots, then she fell down the stairs, seemed OK, then Xmas eve we noticed she had one fixed pupil, she had bad caratacts any way. Then it was clear her sense of smell had failed, couldn't detect food and she started wandering in circles, endlessly. By Boxing day afternooon she had lost lots of weight, then had a fit and seemed paralysed down one side.

She enjoyed the travel sitting with her nose out of the window, scenting, as we went. She lazed in the heat, gallivanted in the snow and loved swimming pools, beaches and the sea.

Little comfort John, but at least at the end her passing was peaceful and she went knowing she was loved.

As for racket, give them a full broadside. Poor customer service has been the norm for far too long.

Little comfort John, but at least at the end her passing was peaceful and she went knowing she was loved.

As for racket, give them a full broadside. Poor customer service has been the norm for far too long.

I agree with both of the above, wholeheartedly.

A quote from Woodward's Blog, dated 7 January 2008 - "I assure you that we are committed to making the passenger experience as pleasant as we are able - I do ask your patience in that those measures described above and others on which we are working will take time to achieve. We may not always get it right, but we are determined to listen and learn when we get it wrong."

Nearly a year later, clearly they are still NOT listening. How much patience are we supposed to have?

Hope you get everything sorted, and soon. Unfortunately, we have absolutely no choice of operator when it comes to getting a vehicle transported, so the monopoly holder is able to make its own rules, and can, and clearly will, treat its customers (many of whom have been very loyal to the company over a lot of years, through a number of changes in ownership) how it likes.

:pirate:

Thanks for the sympathy

I have calmed down but I will be raising it at board level. Above Woodwards head.

Levi was a 3/4 Jack Russel 1/4 Fox hound bitch. She had one lovely litter.

We have two unrelated wire haired bitches, much younger.

Levi was a real charcater, she wandered far and wide, as well as travelled far and wide with us. Nose into everything but loveable. A good ratter.

UNtil last week she was fine, old. slower, sleeping lots, then she fell down the stairs, seemed OK, then Xmas eve we noticed she had one fixed pupil, she had bad caratacts any way. Then it was clear her sense of smell had failed, couldn't detect food and she started wandering in circles, endlessly. By Boxing day afternooon she had lost lots of weight, then had a fit and seemed paralysed down one side.

She enjoyed the travel sitting with her nose out of the window, scenting, as we went. She lazed in the heat, gallivanted in the snow and loved swimming pools, beaches and the sea.

Very sorry to hear about your dog John, the worst thing about dogs is when they depart, just wish they lived longer.

As for the Steam Packet? It just sums up the arrogance which seems to permeate that outfit.

Final update

Went to Steam packet

said I had been told I would need to be on wait list

Oh no sir we have plenty of room tonight, I ask to delete the dogs as they will travel in van, ie minus £15, that will be £34 single extra. ie total £49 extra, on a fare already costing over £400.

Like everyone else John I am very sorry to hear about your dog - but 17 sounds like she had a great and much cared for life.

We whinge a lot about the IOMSPC - but not without reason. I get the impression that Mark Woodward started off saying the right things but has failed to deliver in terms of customer service (talking the talk but not walking the walk). His blog has ceased to include feedback on client experience and one cannot help wondering if he reads his messages. If he does maybe he feels powerless to do anthing to fix problems? At present he seems intent on using it to try and justify IOMSPC freight charges. Your decision to take this over his head is very sensible - one can only hope that the Board take customer service seriously.

PS: I read that I (along with other relevant customers) are to be told that the Viking is replacing the B-M-C on services in early January that we are booked on. Still have not heard anything from them. I continue not to hold my breath on this...

You wonder why Steam Packet staff on £6+ per hour don't really, really care about their job and are just doing enough so as not to get themselves fired? Yes, you have a right to expect a modicum of service, but most will just tow the company line.

Sorry about the dog though.

In future it may be a good idea to keep your booking reference on your mobile/blackberry/pda. It would have reduced at least a portion of your disgust.

I wonder do the Steam Packet now have people saying "I'm going to post on manxforums.com about this" whereas for years the retort by unhappy customers was always "I'm phoning the Mannin Line about this".

I suppose people used to say they were going to contact their MHK, but that of course just made them look even more ridiculous.

Manx Forums is a great place to write 'complaining letters', upto a hundred people will see a post here, where as if you write to the said company, one miserable CSo will see the letter, write a crappy reply and nothing will be changed...power to the people, and the dogs.

:( about the dog Mr Wright.

Archived