[BBC News] New Manx fastcraft vessel sails

Newsbot

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not very successful though, it arrived in Liverpool and passengers had to wait 20 minutes as the doors wouldn't open due to a faul, so off it limped home with it's tail between its legs and let the Snaefell take over for the afternoon sailing

Not very successful though, it arrived in Liverpool and passengers had to wait 20 minutes as the doors wouldn't open due to a faul, so off it limped home with it's tail between its legs and let the Snaefell take over for the afternoon sailing

a good tale !

except the Snaefell was always planned to do the afternoon sailing :)

I met a lady who works for the Steam Packet and she told me that this new sea cat can do 45mph. Very impressive.

However she then told me that the company will not use the vessel to travel at full speed and she will only do 30mph.

So despite buying a fast craft the company are only interested at increased capacity and not speed. A bit disappointing but

apparently she is a fuel guzzler. So about 30mph is an economic speed so the company can maximise their profits at the

expense of inconvenience to passengers.

A Douglas to Liverpool trip is possible in 2 hours but we are not going to get it. Bit of a disappointment eh?

Hardly breaking news eh!

It's got to be a balance between speed and fuel economy. Otherwise they would be equally slagged for not being 'green' enough.

Plus, it doesn't matter what speed your vessel can do. Going to Liverpool, you have strict spped limits from quite a few miles out, into the Mersey estuary.

Oh, and the speeds you've quoted are tosh.

Other than that, thanks for the post.

Yes the speeds I quote may be tosh. I was only reylaying what a Steam Packet employee told me. I must admit ignorance in knots and MPH.

But they could do Douglas to Liverpool in 2 Hours. But I admit it would burn up a hell of a lot of fuel.

Yes the speeds I quote may be tosh. I was only reylaying what a Steam Packet employee told me. I must admit ignorance in knots and MPH.

But they could do Douglas to Liverpool in 2 Hours. But I admit it would burn up a hell of a lot of fuel.

According to this site, it does 37Knts, not that far off 45mph. I think the previous colour scheme was more interesting....

http://www.ferry-site.dk/ferry.php?id=9176072〈=en

if you follow the ais track it was doing 34kt (39mph) on the way to Liverpool this moorning, it has a 12kt speed limit from Fort Perch Rock on the end of the Wirral peninsular into the river.

On the return trip it was doing about 34kt most of the way back, and the trip from berth to berth was about 2hr 15mins, departed 11.30, arrived shortly after 13.40

(Snaefell usually does about 28-30kt 32-34mph)

if you follow the ais track it was doing 34kt (39mph) on the way to Liverpool this moorning, it has a 12kt speed limit from Fort Perch Rock on the end of the Wirral peninsular into the river.

On the return trip it was doing about 34kt most of the way back, and the trip from berth to berth was about 2hr 15mins, departed 11.30, arrived shortly after 13.40

Oh dear yet another sad gimp Steam Packet supporter, I don't know for sure but I'd be quite happy to bet that you don't live here.

Do you wear Steam Packet sweatshirts too?

Oh dear yet another sad gimp Steam Packet supporter, I don't know for sure but I'd be quite happy to bet that you don't live here.

Do you wear Steam Packet sweatshirts too?

just stating facts old chap, correcting some erroneous data posted above, and no I don't wear spco sweatshirts either, and I am in the same boat as everyone else with the fares we have to pay to get off this rock, and for your edification, I have lived here all my born days, so exactly where you get the idea I am from another place, I have no idea :blink:

perhaps you been smooking the wrong stuff :D

a good tale !

except the Snaefell was always planned to do the afternoon sailing :)

I stand corrected about the Snaefell sailing but the event at Liverpool did happen, I was phoned by a member of the family going across who was very pissed off to be held up.

Archived