[BBC News] Cavendish equals record with win

Newsbot

The BBC's Chris Bevan called the race the "Tour de Manx" this morning!

ITV4 Tour of France commentators were expressing concern that Cav was taking over their show!

He's probably a household name on the continent - and definitely putting the Isle of Man on the map there. But perhaps less well known in the UK still...

His sprinting achievements are awesome and deserve to be given a higher profile...

His sprinting achievements are awesome and deserve to be given a higher profile...

There is no doubting his acheivements and I don't wish to diminish them but there is only so high a profile that a cyclist can attain.

Unlike ,say, the Guernsey footballer , Le Saux

And who the fuck cared where Lance Armstrong actually came from? Dickhead.

There is no doubting his acheivements and I don't wish to diminish them but there is only so high a profile that a cyclist can attain.

And who the fuck cared where Lance Armstrong actually came from? Dickhead.

No need for that. Just pointing out that different sports attract different levels of attention.

I've no idea where Lance Armstrong came from, he's a cyclist right?. Jersey?

You put on the BBC's live feed at work too then! I find it helps the working day pass a lot more quickly - some funny stuff on there.

Cav is brilliant for the IOM and will do more for us than any promotional activity by Govt. He's a household name in Western Europe and increasingly so in the USA.

Cycling has had a poor profile in Britain in recent years but the current BBC Sports Personality of the Year is a cyclist and the sport is increasing in popularity.

Why did we scrap Cycling Week again?

ITV4 Tour of France commentators were expressing concern that Cav was taking over their show!

He's probably a household name on the continent - and definitely putting the Isle of Man on the map there. But perhaps less well known in the UK still...

Cycling, and all outdoor pursuits, is popular in this neck of the woods and Cavendish is well know. and the Isle of Man too because of that. It's nice that people know something about the island asides from it being the place where Europe's rich hide away their money to dodge taxes.

Cycling, and all outdoor pursuits, is popular in this neck of the woods and Cavendish is well know. and the Isle of Man too because of that. It's nice that people know something about the island asides from it being the place where Europe's rich hide away their money to dodge taxes.

Leaving aside your silly comments about the finance sector, I know that Ronaldo the footballer comes from Portugal, Tiger Woods the golfer from America, Bono the singer , from Ireland. How does this teach me to know anything about the aforementioned places.

If you go to say France and fall into conversation with a local and mention where you are from he may (if he has an interest in things cycling) say "Oui, l'homme Cavendish. Il habite au Isle de Man" (sp).

It may give you a nice warm feeling, that your (our) small Island is recognised (whereas your new found pal may not previously have heard of it). Nothing wrong with that, or indeed basking in Mr Cavendish's reflected glory, but let's keep it in perspective.

Repeat, I am not being churlish and congratulate MC on his acheivements.

Cav is brilliant for the IOM and will do more for us than any promotional activity by Govt.

I don't know, they're pretty smart cookies. A publicity boosting rebranding of what will become known as the "Cav of Man" and sticking giant handle bars over the Laxey Wheel with a gargantuan spandex effigy placed to the side will soon have tourists rushing to The Bee Gee's international airport, falling over and occasionally even stabbing one another to be first to see where that guy with the bike from the telly lives. Rumours are that inhabitants of the Costa Del Sol are already referring to him as "the destroyer", or in some cases "the saviour", in anticipation of a massive drop in tourist numbers.

Wasn`t Le Saux from Jersey?

I think you are thinking of Le Tissier.

In this country, yes, although pro cyclings profile is rising fast.

Yesterday evening's Swiss news was mostly about Cavendish as well!

Archived