[BBC News] Islands' autonomy to be reviewed

Newsbot

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL...the committe is headed by William Wallace....they shall never take our freeeeeeedom. Well actually they might....doh!

I don't think he is? The two stories appear to be unconnected, Wallace (a long standing slagger of offshores) has had a bleat at Jersey, and the bbc have connected it up with a future judicial review.

Maybe I have missed something but why can't the Isle of Man just declare full independence?

As it is there is no point but if they were to change things to bring us to just being another English county could we just cut out loses?

thinking the same, if thay decide to bring us in to there arm and be 1 more bitch on there side, only so thay can tax us 40%.

cant we just declare full independence from them,

we lose the health thing soon, and the vat, so what other uses is there of being with them

"Speaking exclusively to the Guernsey Press, William Wallace said:...

The situation with the Channel Islands is totally different since even 35 years ago because of financial globalisation. One can see how the economies of Guernsey and Jersey have changed in that time.

Both used to be based primarily on horticulture and tourism, compared to finance as they are today."

Or, in other words, autonomy is only valid so long as you don't have any money, because it's simply absurd that somewhere with money should be allowed to remain outside of the stumbling, penniless husk that the U.K. has become.

I don't think he is? The two stories appear to be unconnected, Wallace (a long standing slagger of offshores) has had a bleat at Jersey, and the bbc have connected it up with a future judicial review.

It seems kosher, the telegraph is running the same story with more details. In particular

"The House of Commons Justice Commission has announced it is to examine the Ministry of Justice’s management of Britain’s relationship with the Crown dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man."

Full story.

It seems kosher, the telegraph is running the same story with more details. In particular

"The House of Commons Justice Commission has announced it is to examine the Ministry of Justice’s management of Britain’s relationship with the Crown dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man."

Full story.

Like I said, I don't see any connection between Wallace and the review.

Like I said, I don't see any connection between Wallace and the review.

Ah, I see what you're getting at, I read your original post as supposing there wasn't going to be such a review. No, I don't think there's any connection between him and the committee in question. He's just an old duffer leaping at the chance to air his pet hate to the newspapers.

Do you think the Island's government would be at any more risk of corruption than it is now if it declared independence?

Depends on what form a post-independence government would take and what kind of scrutiny of it was built into the system. It isn't simply a matter of 'small nations corrupt'/'big nations honourable' (and god knows there's enough evidence that the latter doesn't hold). I get the impression that Wallace is influenced more by an ideological committment to some ideal of a united British Isles in principle and a creaking 19th century sense of paternalism more than a concern for the practicalities and underlying issues.

Archived