Value For Money?

Lonan3

Has anyone else read Victor Kneale's letter in this week's Examiner? Even without the comparisons he makes to the way ordinary pensioners and government workers are treated, it makes disturbing reading.

He claims that when Tynwald members voted themselves a huge increase last year they also made sure that they no longer 'have to announce increases in their pay'

So, on Aug 1st 2004, they awarded themselves an extra 5.5% 'not only on salaries but on tax-free allowances as well.'

Their basic pay, he says, is now £31,651.50, but none of them get that as they get an extra £9495.45 for being a member of a department.

Travelling expenses are rated at 45-51 per mile for their cars.

If a member is not re-elected they get a 'resettlement grant' of 50% of the basic pay (£15,825.72) as a golden handshake.

Only 13 members of Tynwald, he says, are on the 'basic' £47,691.38 while the other 19 range from £50,856.53 to £63,517.13

Could someone please reassure me that we really are getting value for money?

Could someone tell me, given the above, why Whitley Council workers should be condemned for not accepting what they've been offered?

Could someone tell me why ordinary pensioners should be grateful for the meagre rise that they've been awarded?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could someone tell me, given the above, why Whitley Council workers should be condemned for not accepting what they've been offered?

Because two wrongs don't make a right? Just because ministers are (if they are) overpaid, doesn't mean the public should overpay the Whitley Council workers.

Because two wrongs don't make a right? Just because ministers are (if they are) overpaid, doesn't mean the public should overpay the Whitley Council workers.

Whitley Council Tradesman on the IOM

monthly take home pay £1055.24

Rent per week £71.30

Wife and two young children , wife works part time £140.00 per week take home.

Weekly shopping £100 +

Gas approx min £50 pw

Electric approx min £50 pw

Petrol, tax & insurance £60 pw

Cloths ££££s

and this was before the fuel increases.

I have been asked to post this from the person himself.

I've no idea what the going rate is for manual workers is. What I object to is the justification that public sector workers deserve an increase at a rate higher than most private sector workers simply because other public sector workers have already received that rate.

The other justification I see is the rate of inflation, which has been ignored by private sector employers.

If they need/deserve more for the reasons you list, then lets hear it. I dont think its been properly justified as it stands.

I got a crap pay rise, but rather than moan about what other people got I enrolled on a course to get some more qualifications.

Also, I don't know all the ins and outs of who gets paid what, but I know someone who used to be an MHK a few years ago when the salary was pretty poor. He gave up his own business to become an MHK, had to move out of his council house because people moaned about his family living there, and buy a house he couldn't afford. Then when he got voted out there was no 'golden handshower' so he was skint, had no job, and almost had his house reposessed.

I think MHKs may have seen situations like that when they introduced the higher salaries and pay offs when you don't get re-elected. Whether they're too high or not, I don't really know. But some MHKs do make a lot of sacrifices that aren't always obvious to the public, and never get mentioned on these forums.

I can understand your thinking.

However, people live to their means. Based on your calcualtions above, that man is considerably better of then me.

His rent, at less then £72 per week, is not even a quarter of what I am paying a month on my mortgage and yet I do not earn 4 times his salary. Therefore, can I draw the conclusion that a manual worker is better off than me?

Of course I can't. It's not quite as simple as that.

And if they really are using over £200 per month gas and £200 per month electric, I suggest they have their meters checked. That sounds like an awful lot, even with the hike in prices.

Exactly. The rates they currently get should be compared with similar positions in the private sector. The justification for a higher rise is wrong in my opinion.

Plus I understand govt workers get other benefits, job security, pensions etc.

If everyone gets paid more then the cost of getting stuff done increases.

Then everyone wants more and more.

Inflation hits people's savings and pensions.

One way to tackle inflation is to freeze and even cut wages. This would also make the island more attractive to business.

Didn't it only fail because the government didn't have the guts to stick with it? And because it lacked public support.

There isn't any good reason why people should get a pay increase every year. Provided that the same applies to everyone.

A government tradesman takes home less than an 18 year old school leaver who joins the IOM Bank as a cashier, ones a time served tradesman who spent five years on low wages the other is no better than a shop assistant. Why does the pat differ. And how much does a school leaver earn working in Government offices with no skill.

A government tradesman takes home less than an 18 year old school leaver who joins the IOM Bank as a cashier, ones a time served tradesman who spent five years on low wages the other is no better than a shop assistant. Why does the pat differ. And how much does a school leaver earn working in Government offices with no skill.

But the meak shall inherit the earth.

What do you propose? Communism?

Can you show your source for this revelation?

Archived