Bazaar Steam Packet Fares

do nothing

I have just enquired about a singlefoot passenger fare from the IOM to Heysham was £15, & a single return with a motorcycle £68. But if I book a return fare with a motor cycle the price is £58. Am I the only person that thinks this is a good way for the Steam Packet to rip off its customers?

There are too many monopolys on this island ripping too many manx residents of their hard earned cash!

:angry:

I have just enquired about a singlefoot passenger fare from the IOM to Heysham was £15, & a single return with a motorcycle £68. But if I book a return fare with a motor cycle the price is £58. Am I the only person that thinks this is a good way for the Steam Packet to rip off its customers?

There are too many monopolys on this island ripping too many manx residents of their hard earned cash!

So in other words, what you are actually saying is that you want to congratulate the Steam Packet for offering such a cheap fare (your quote of £58) for a bike and rider return trip. Sounds pretty good to me.

Some special offers suit some people better than others.

It revolves around trying to encourage people to travel. Not trying to cover every imaginable combination of journey for the odd person who wants it their own way. You could always book the return special and try to turn up as a foot passenger on the outward leg, but they would probably surcharge you (quite rightly BTW).

I honestly think that it is far cheaper (in real terms) to travel on the boat than it was several years back, when there were no such thing as special offers, it was basically a price for less than 5 days and another for longer trips and that's it.

But, of course, you can't please all of the people, all of the time.............

I see what you are saying manxman8180, but if I am only travelling one way with a motorcycle it should be a little over half the price of the £58 return ticket price, not another £10 on top. If I book a return ticket, I have space reserved on the car deck, both ways that could be used by another vehicle. Also, if this is not such a rip off, then why does the same not apply for a car, van, trailer etc. A return car journey is £138, but one way is only £85. A car takes up a lot more room than a motorcycle, probably 6 times as much room, but is only £17 more on a single journey. Why isn't a single car journey priced at £10 more than a return trip?

:whatever:

I run a car that fits within the trailer size but so far havn't managed to convince any ferry company that it is a self-propelled 'trailer'

I get charged the same as some fuel guzzling SUV several times my size and weight.

Ferry prices are a racket - eg day trips on channel tunnel are from £30 return - stay away for two nights and the price jumps to around £150. The logic is that single fares (and near future journies) are price insensitive in that people must travel - return fares at non-peak periods are opportunistic to catch traffic that would not otherwise occur.

Again... what choice do we have... they have got us by the Balearics

I think you mean they've got us "Bei den Eiern" - should understand that by now :)

And you do have a choice: Work for them! Footpassenger £ 1.50 and Car £ 10 single - at least it was a few years ago when I sailed through the rough Irish Sea - ah, memories... Would have stayed forever, but not on that pay - don't let your frustration out on the crew - they're still underpaid and mostly doing a brilliant job...

And why do I , as a pick-up driver, have to fill out a lengthy form to travel at the right price of that of a car?

I am no bigger and carry no goods. It's only cos I can't get a motorbike in the back of a Porsche that I need the pick-up.

Also, I get searched every time even though they can see clearly what is in the back.

When I use a large truck I have never been searched. Why not?

I see what you are saying manxman8180, but if I am only travelling one way with a motorcycle it should be a little over half the price of the £58 return ticket price, not another £10 on top. If I book a return ticket, I have space reserved on the car deck, both ways that could be used by another vehicle. Also, if this is not such a rip off, then why does the same not apply for a car, van, trailer etc. A return car journey is £138, but one way is only £85. A car takes up a lot more room than a motorcycle, probably 6 times as much room, but is only £17 more on a single journey. Why isn't a single car journey priced at £10 more than a return trip?

:whatever:

Your'e comparing standard rates for cars against special offers for both foot passengers and bikes, so I can see now where your lack of understanding of the subject comes from.

Well manxman8180 go on then, explain it to us simple people who are confused at how a so called special offer (which by the way is also the standard fare price) is cheaper than a single fare. By the way the car fare was also a standard fare according to the Steam Packet website but this muppet (alias manxman8180) seems to be an authority on the subject....may be he works for them?

EDIT - Forum member do nothing has forgot to log me out of the forum before posting, this post is by him!

I run a car that fits within the trailer size but so far havn't managed to convince any ferry company that it is a self-propelled 'trailer'

Have you considered buying a trailer, towing it to the boat then loading your car onto it and then booking it on as a trailer?

sorry - am i missing something... what, pray tell, is the difference between "A single return with a motorcycle" and "a return fare with a motor cycle"? (apart from the obvious difference in price)

:blink:

Maybe not as bizzar as you think.....

If you phoned them to book a mix of sailing types (foot and bike) It is more than likely they will charge you the standard fare, I don't think you can mix offers. As for the £58 return, if you were going and coming back the same day, they have quoted you a bike + 1 day return, and so would be cheaper.

Hope its of some help

That depends. Is the majority of its customer base made up of people who'll be travelling out on foot, and returning on motorbike? It's a scandal if so. Kind of.

Archived