Radio Station Listener Figures

manxmedia

With Chris Moyles yelling loudly today that he is still the saviour of Radio One I thought it would be interesting to see what’s happening with Manx, as they did not refer to their figures this morning!!

I also found that Energy FM are now listed, but still nothing yet from 3FM.

I'm not a number cruncher but I'm guessing Manx (and possibly 3FM), will not be too worried by Energy’s numbers. I'm sure someone can put these results in to plain English (or should that be Manx)

Certainly Manx are down, but where are the listeners going?

I've listed Manx for the last two quarters and just one for Energy. Rajar say the IoM has 64,000 people.

Figures from Rajar website:

Weekly Reach listeners %

Energy FM (Dec 05) 12,000 19%

Manx (Dec 05) 38,000 59%

Manx (Sept 05) 38,000 60%

Average Hours per head per listener

Energy FM (Dec 05) 1.5 7.9

Manx (Dec 05) 7.2 12.2

Manx (Sept 05) 7.7 12.8

Total Hours listeners Share of listening %

Energy FM (Dec 05) 98,000 6.4

Manx (Dec 05) 461,000 29.9

Manx (Sept 05) 494,000 32.3

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Figures from Rajar website:

Weekly Reach listeners %

Energy FM (Dec 05) 12,000 19%

Manx (Dec 05) 38,000 59%

Manx (Sept 05) 38,000 60%

Average Hours per head per listener

Energy FM (Dec 05) 1.5 7.9

Manx (Dec 05) 7.2 12.2

Manx (Sept 05) 7.7 12.8

Total Hours listeners Share of listening %

Energy FM (Dec 05) 98,000 6.4

Manx (Dec 05) 461,000 29.9

Manx (Sept 05) 494,000 32.3

God, energy are doing well getting 19% of the total population. Considering their target audience is much less than 19% of the Islands population.

I was given a diary and was told that only 500 odd diaries would be given in total. Out of 64,000 people... that is rediculous. As much as I love energy...I never filled mine in (forgot about it and couldn't catch up) so that straight away says that 128 people don't listen to radio.

load of Crap really.

I have never done a show for any radio station

Don't believe you DDan

Just had a look at all your postings. If you're not a DJ you must be on the board. Come clean!

I like my indy/dance music and i like energy! end of. I don't personally know anyone from any of the radio stations but I did once send in demo's to manx radio and energy when they started.

With you on that one Tool! BBC has a local radio station in the Channel Islands, why not ask for the same proportion of funding to be paid to IOM Govt to support MR? Seems like IOM Govt has a good case to make to the BBC.

No, what we want to do is refuse to pay as much for the license.

If the BBC came to the island they would dominate the radio scene like elsewhere and the local stations would soon close down. The BBC wouldn't maintain as many staff as the other stations preferring to produce many programmes in the United Kingdom.

Hi Cheese

What I meant was that some of the licence fee paid by IOM residents should be allocated to MR, not that the BBC should open local station. I enjoy MR (with all its faults) and even though the BBC would no doubt bring the benefits of its huge broadcasting experience, resource nad expertise, I think it would be difficult to describe "BBC Radio IOM" as a truly local station.

With you on that one Tool! BBC has a local radio station in the Channel Islands, why not ask for the same proportion of funding to be paid to IOM Govt to support MR? Seems like IOM Govt has a good case to make to the BBC.

Only if Manx Radio comes under the Charter IMO. Manx Radio still isn't sharp enough as it currently exists. Perhaps the IOM govt doesn't want to give up that control.

And on your same basis - why should the IOM govt support Manx Radio but not the other local stations? I'm happy to pay for Manx Radio to provide local news, arts, culture, language, history etc under state funding. But I don't see any reason for their MOR and (PR) magazine output to be cross subsidised on the back of public service broadcasting.

In general I'm very happy with what I get for the licence fee. But I can also see an argument in favour of some small part of the licence fee being paid back to the IOM. However I don't think that it should necessarily go to Manx Radio as it currently exists. Certainly not if that means them using it to fund the music and advertorial output.

Manx Radio is still surprisingly desperate for free content. Which is why (especially) the pm slots are filled with what are (effectively) advertorials. By advertorial - I mean shop keepers being interviewed as if they were interesting guests.

An example:

In the run up to Christmas I heard a local shop keeper who has a regular PM slot - effectively warning people against buying certain tech goods via the internet because (he stated with concern) these goods would often be delivered without the necessary leads, chargers, power packs etc. He suggested that these items would have been removed from the packaging so as to make the goods cheaper. And this was presented as expert opinion.

The local retailer was, off course, using the slot to encourage people to buy from his own shop. Manx Radio presented this devious nonsense as content.

Now the presenter should have stepped in and asked him to clarify exactly what he meant. The local shop keeper was being devious and sly. His example actually (obviously) related to buying goods from, say, private sellers on Ebay - and probably on import. But the local shop keeper got away with fostering the notion that buying goods online is, in general, a process of paying less for less. The presenter should have said, at least, that this obviously wouldn't happen with reputable online retailers.

Which is sad. Because the sort of people who might listen to Manx Radio's MOR output in the PM are perhaps less aware of the differences between, say, Ebay and Amazon. So Manx Radio was using govt funding to cross subsidise fear of buying online. Hardly good use of govt money when the IOM wants to be E- friendly (and given that some of the internet retailers might be based here).

Actually - it was just an example of the deejay being far to easy on the person being interviewed. It was about radio formular - a beginning and end within a time slot .. as opposed to actually asking intelligent questions.

I'm all in favour of some part of the licence fee coming back to the IOM to fund local radio. And I never listen to Energy or 3FM. So I'm not suggesting that those stations should get any part of the licence money either.

It's always difficult when a public entity is trading in a commercial and, otherwise, private sector. The balance has to be struck between encouraging the entity to to stand on its own two feet commercially and maintaining the public service aspect. Not easy, and there are tensions, some constructive others commercially hindering.

However, I do think that what we pay to the BBC for the scant coverage or interest and the lack of Freeview or even Channel 5, to name but a few gripes which have been raised by others, should be redressed by some return to local broadcasting.

However, I do think that what we pay to the BBC for the scant coverage or interest and the lack of Freeview or even Channel 5, to name but a few gripes which have been raised by others, should be redressed by some return to local broadcasting.

Channel 5 is a commercial station and simply isn't funded by the licence fee. Channel 5 would be the best people to address re concerns over lack of analogue coverage of their services.

The lack of digital terrestrial (Freeview) coverage is being addressed. Relatively large geographical areas of the UK also currently don't get digital terrestrial. And most of the IOM will get it long before some other pockets of these islands.

TV is currently being switched from analogue to digital. Some will get it sooner than others. People in Ramsey , for example, have just as good a service as people in some parts of North London. Where as some people in Douglas are complaining that they haven't yet been upgraded - just like some people in certain parts of Sussex.

None of which has anything to do with the funding of Manx Radio.

What do you mean by some return to local broadcasting? If you don't mind me asking.

Now, I am going to be accused of rowing here but....

Isn't the reason that we can't get Channel 5/Freeview because the transmitters aren't up to scratch (same with many in the UK, granted)? But those licence payers in the UK get a local radio station as well. All I am saying is that the portion of licence fee that goes to BBC local radio stations should, perhaps, go to local broadcasting on the Island.

By the by, in the old days what we now call the TV licence originally covered radio. I also understand that the licence fee is not exclusively for the BBC, but for the transmission infrastructure.

Now, I am going to be accused of rowing here but....

Isn't the reason that we can't get Channel 5/Freeview because the transmitters aren't up to scratch (same with many in the UK, granted)?

Nope. And absolutely nope.

It's because converting everyone to digital terrestrial is a complicated process - especially with respect to preventing one local transmitter from causing problems for people who receive their signals from another - especially given that transmitters are typically located on high ground. It's about allocating frequencies so as not to cause problems for people in adjacent regions. It's a difficult and complicated process.

Managing the switch is a difficult and complicated process. Perhaps particularly difficult in a place like the IOM which is dead centre with respect to these islands - and given that some people on the IOM receive their TV from various different local transmitters. Some people who get it straight from the UK may already have Freeview. We do.

And the people managing the switch have to ensure that converting one local area to digital will not destroy reception in another area which has yet to be switched or partially switched from analogue.

The other option would be to switch off all analogue TV tomorrow. Then the digital switch could happen much more quickly.

EDIT: and when you talk about a TV transmitter not being up to scratch - well what do you mean specifically?

Archived