Mobile Telephones While Driving.

Gavsta

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH its prolly worse, at least you can safely drop a moby if you have to, but you cant just let go of a lighted ciggy.

I am sure that its against the law to smoke anyhow, the same applies to eating, anything that means that your not fully in control of the vehicle is an offense.

"Will cyclists be prosecuted for using a mobile phone while cycling?

No, but police do have the powers to deal with careless or dangerous cycling."

from here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/mobile/article/0...1093793,00.html

As for smoking, it's the same as anything: talking, tuning the radio, changing the tape - none are illegal to do whilst driving as they'd be impossible to enforce

Yeah, well have a little think about it and see if you can come up with a way to ban people from chatting to their passengers as they travel.

Using a handsfree mobile 'phone is distracting your attention from the road too, but they've not bothered banning that, as the fact is driving is a dangerous thing to do, accidents can happen and anything that distracts you, from seeing a pretty boy wigglin his ass as he walks down the street to changing the CD can make it more likely you'll have an accident.

Maybe it's trying to hold the steering wheel, hold a phone to your ear and change gear at the same time they have a problem with?

Exactly.

I drive all over the Island as part of my job and have to have my phone with me all the time so the office can get in touch. For this reason I bought a high quality bluetooth headset that I have on all the time during the week so I can safely take a call.

I dont need to stop, I dont need to take my hands off the wheel and I dont find it distracting.

accidents can happen and anything that distracts you, from seeing a pretty boy wigglin his ass as he walks down the street to changing the CD can make it more likely you'll have an accident.

Very true.

But it doesnt make the fact that stopping on the other side of a blind corner to take the call from the missus that you need a pint of milk is a stupendously stupid thing to do.

But it doesnt make the fact that stopping on the other side of a blind corner to take the call from the missus that you need a pint of milk is a stupendously stupid thing to do.

You could say it's actually more dangerous than driving with a mobile.....

Both are obviously wrong, but if outlawing one causes a rise in the other, perhaps it should be reviewed.

We sell car stereos with blue tooth built in which prevents this sort of problem as it's an instant complete hands free.

Wish people would consider this sort of technology if they insist on having their phones on whilst driving.

Worst has got to have been the people who read text messages whilst driving!! :blink:

I like the sound of those blue tooth steroes, quite handy

I've never quite understood why they bothered introducing the mobile phone law, and more specifically why they picked on mobile phones. I would have to ask.

1. How many accidents have actually been caused due to the use of mobile phones

2. How come the police are allowed pick up up there radio receivers in there vehicles and talk into them

3. Does the offence 'driving without due care and attention' not cover using a mobile phone.

In fact i know the answer to Q3. It does cover it.

I'm all against people using the phone whilst driving 'if its dangerous'. Seems to me the introduction of this law was a pointless knee jerk reaction.

I like the sound of those blue tooth steroes, quite handy

For anyone that's interested as I've had a few pm's.

They are the Vieta CCM660BT@ £219

4.jpg

They also have a USB port in the from for USB memory stick which you can store MP3's or WMA's on. It comes with a free 128MB one but because it's USB you can buy more from most places, they do them up to 4GB now I believe which is more than enough.

If you're interested just pm me.

The amount of vehicles getting in the way, stopped, while the inane occupants gabble on thier mobile , simply staggers me.

What about this approach:

First, order and install one of these thingies in your car:

post-1086-1139100399_thumb.jpg

A nice little air horn - originally designed for trains, but these guys sell'em for cars.

Then, slowly sneak up to the offending vehicle and hit the button - that should cut any phone conversation short...

Not exactly legal or gentle, but I can see the shock value in it - the test video on their site shows how loud these things are: Test Clip (6MB .wmv file) It's bound to get anyone off the phone, that's for sure...

Alternatively, just get a cheap hands free kit (and they are cheap these days) or simply ignore that bloody phone - its only a phone call - it won't harm you to check the number a few minutes later, or call back if required - stopping in a dangerous spot may harm you and others, though...

so many times I have been so tempted to get out of my car at a stop sign/lights/whatever and knock on the car infrint and say ''excuse me byt your indicators are not working'' and when they say to me I think they are I want to say 'well f'in use them then!!!!!

Tried a similar thing yesterday evening, and think I (unwillingly) scared a cab driver in the process. Not indicators, but rear fog light on this occasion.

Basically, I was on my way to work, and decided to check up on my other car, which is parked near shoprite at the moment - just to make sure all the mirrors are still in place, etc...

Little Jag was fine, and I took off again - only to have a taxi in front of me with its rear fog light on, well and truly blinding me. Not being able to detect any fog in Douglas, I thought I'd be nice and try to tell him at the next traffic light (was a silver mini-van thingy with no company signs on it - otherwise I would just have called their number, and asked them to pass on a message).

Well, there was no red traffic light until we reached Quines Corner, which is still more or less on my way to work (little detour included) - light is red, we both stop (I think he somehow thought that I'm following him by now), and I'm flashing him a few times, trying to get his attention - just as I'm about to get out and walk up to him, the lights turn green - Well, let's just say that I've never seen a cab taking off quicker.. So got back in, and continued to drive to work..

Sorry if you thought that I was a disgruntled customer looking for revenge, Mr Cabdriver, but I only meant to tell you that your bloody fog light was on - hope someone else told you, though...

Archived