Mobile Telephones While Driving.

Gavsta

This whole fog light thing annoys the hell out of me. Forgetting to switch them off after doing a trip over the mountain in the fog is one thing (Most of us will have done it at one time or another), but having the front ones switched on permanently is pointless and just makes life more difficult for oncoming traffic.

What are you trying to say, "Look at me, I've got front fog lights"?

Well done, now switch the bloody things off.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2. How come the police are allowed pick up up there radio receivers in there vehicles and talk into them

Because the law refers to phones specifically, and 2-way radios are not phones.

Too many professionals (emergency services, councils) and private sector (taxis, site security) use

radio communications, that it would be too much fannying to organise bans for some, licencing for others,

so that the easier route was taken.

The upside it that it's perfectly legal to chat to your mates with a CB or Ham Radio, with a mike in your hand :)

The upside it that it's perfectly legal to chat to your mates with a CB or Ham Radio, with a mike in your hand :)

You want to be careful giving people incorrect legal advice.

Just because it doesn't specifically mention it, doesn't mean they can't include it in the'catch all' of driving without due care and attention. I should know, I was stopped and given a ticking off for that very thing about 12 years ago. There's nothing that says it's illegal to drive with a pasty in your hand and a coke can on your lap, but if they deem you not to be in control of your vehicle, you can be charged.

I refer m'learned colleague to this following excerpt from The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003:

Amendment of the Road Vehicles Regulations 1986

2. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986[2] are amended by inserting after regulation 109 -

" Mobile telephones

110. - (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a road if he is using -

a] a hand-held mobile telephone; or

b] a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).

(4) A device referred to in paragraphs (1b), (2b) and (3b) is a device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data.

As with a lot of these things, if you are observed doing something like this, it's subjective as to whether you

would be 'in control'. Which takes us back to the 'common sense vs nanny state' point. If you are going to order a pizza, or call CQDX, then park up! (safely!) :rolleyes:

As with a lot of these things, if you are observed doing something like this, it's subjective as to whether you

would be 'in control'. Which takes us back to the 'common sense vs nanny state' point. If you are going to order a pizza, or call CQDX, then park up! (safely!) :rolleyes:

Well yes, that's what I said. My point, which still stands, is that it's very misleading to tell people it's perfectly legal to drive around with a mic to your mush, when they would very often be stopped and possible cautioned if they are seen.

Although given how often we hear of mobile phone users being caught, it's probably never going to happen.

Park a plod at Quarterbridge and watch the fine money roll in....

ahh, this has was also said here but using policemaen We Make some money to pay MEA and debts off

It is naughty to use the phone to say "hi, hiya, it is me hi I am in the car honey". Because of the crashes it might cause other people not using the phone

Archived