Manx Voters To Go To Polls At 16

The Old Git

http://www.guardian.co.uk/guardianpolitics...1704844,00.html

The Isle of Man is to become the first part of the British Isles to lower the voting age from 18 to 16. Manx politicians hope the move will encourage more youngsters to get involved in politics. The amendment means that around 2,000 16- and 17-year-olds will be able to vote in elections.

The decision was agreed in the House of Keys, the main branch of the parliament, Tynwald. Members voted 19-4 for an amendment to the registration of electors bill proposed by the former education minister Steve Rodan.

Article continues

"It may be that only a few 16- and 17-year-olds will want to vote," Mr Rodan said. "But if we can get even a small number engaged at an early age it could lead to a lifetime's active interest in politics."

However, the move is unlikely to set a global precedent. The vast majority of countries still set the voting age at 18, and a report from the UK Electoral Commission two years ago recommended that the voting age in the UK should not be lowered.

It is not the first time the island has led the way in democratic reform. In 1881 the Isle of Man granted women of property the right to vote.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's from your paper so I guess it might be true

Here's the Irish version

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0207/isleofman.html

Isle of Man to lower voting age to 16

07 February 2006 20:46

The Isle of Man parliament has decided to lower the minimum voting age from 18 to 16.

Members of the House of Keys, the main house of the Tynwald, voted 19 to four in favour of the move.

It will allow about 2,000 16 and 17-year-olds on the island to vote.

Advertisement

Education Minister Steve Rodan, who proposed the amendment to eligibility for voting in the island's parliamentary elections, said 'It may be that only a few 16 and 17-year-olds will want to vote.'

'But if we can get even a small number engaged at an early age it could lead to a lifetime's active interest in politics,' he said.

A United Kingdom Electoral Commission report last year recommended against lowering the voting age for the British parliament from 18.

But Man has a history of innovation in electoral reform: in 1881, it was the first country in the world to introduce votes for women.

The Tynwald was founded by Viking settlers more than 1,000 years ago and claims to be the oldest continuous parliament in the world.

Man is a Crown Dependency, and is not part of the UK, or of the EU.

Good on them, at 16 you can work and pay tax so should be able to vote - no taxation without representation.

Though I think an hour a week at school devoted to local politics would help more.

Agreed, surely this can only be a good thing. There should definately be more education and awareness on the subject, I know politics can be boring at times but if it's put into the right context for 16+ year olds - where they see they have a choice and can make a difference - then I'm sure it might seem a lot more appealing.

Good on them, at 16 you can work and pay tax so should be able to vote - no taxation without representation.

Though I think an hour a week at school devoted to local politics would help more.

All of the above i agree with but lets look at what we wont let the 16 year olds do

Buy fireworks

buy cigarettes [ proposal to raise age to 18]

buy alcahol

drink alcahol in a pub etc etc

There seems to be a dual approach to the status of 16 and above, but hey, theres an election coming up, who needs policies of any depth or sincerity:(

True. I don't agree with stopping 16 year olds drinking/smoking whilst we allow them to have sex, marry, have kids, work etc etc

There should be one age that people become adult, either 16 or 18, not this limbo between 16 and 18 - if 16/17 year olds could go to the pub maybe we would see less vandalism/kids drinking on the street, at least the pub is a secure environment where (in theory) they can't get too pissed before being refused service.

I'd plump for 16 being the adult age.

Cue every 15-year-old on the island to say: "It's not fair!"

Nope, ime 15 (Today actually (Before you ask ime ill)) And i quite like the idea to vote, i live and was born on the isle of man, i should still get a say.

Archived