Manx Voters To Go To Polls At 16

The Old Git

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this is brilliant. A bet few candidates are reconsidering their manifestos. They actually might have start thinking for once about the youth of the Island.

Exactly, the kids are the ones who will inherit this Island from the oldies ;) Some would say the people who have been in power for so long have had long enough and it's time they moved on.

Realistically, what difference will this make? Is a 16 year old any more likely to turn out than an 18 year old?

It's a good idea to introduce local politics to the high schools though.

Idealogically, it is correct. At 16 you have all of the trappings of an adult except watch 18 movies, drink legally in a pub and vote.

Practically, I don't think it will make a jot of a difference.

I do, however, agree that politics (i.e. the mechanics of how a country and government operates) should be taught in schools, even for 1 hour a week. The subject is already there (citizenship), just broaden it to cover the basic code for living in a democracy, which is, oddly, a much hidden secret!

(Cue the posts about how we do not live in a democracy, but I'm going to bed soon!)

Most 16 year olds are a drain on the economy or produce very little towards it, so why should they be allowed to vote for something they dont contribute too, very bad decision by the Keys :angry:

Such a stereotypical view. But I won't say any more on the matter, don't want to feed teh troll!

Anyways....

Me, personally, won't be that bothered by voting at this age because I don't know a thing about politics on the island. I think that 16, 18, it won't make much of a difference at what age people can start voting.

At 16 years of age my first girlfriend was an Irish girl who came over to the Island working in the hotels.

I was certainly of at least average intelligence and politically I suppose I became the same as the rest of the crowd - IRA . Yep, an IRA manxman.

I was sensible enough to read a lot of books on the subject and of course I had plenty of people to tell me their experiences. And there were good songs too. And so as a teenager I was a believer.

However, my thinking changed after a bit of growing up including going to University and working across.

And believe it or not I was in the Parachute Regiment for a few years. Not for any political reasons - it's not that easy to become a paratrooper - but my life certainly provided some insights in to the world. As you would imagine my politics changed more or less 180 degrees from teenager to twenty something adult. And my political thinking has not changed that much in the last twenty years.

My point is that 16 years of age is simply too young to vote.

The Isle of Man Government is making a ridiculous attempt to seem progressive in the eyes of the world.

But did your views change between 16 and 18? Did they change again between 18 and 21?

My political views were formed in my early/mid 20's, but I had been eligible to vote for, probably, 6 years by then. I also remember the conflict I had with my upbringing (which was kind of right wing) and I challenged my dad. He held my head and said, quietly, "You're right love, but no one likes a show off!"

Anyone wanting extra votes in Douglas will have to spend Friday evenings at the rose gardens on Broadway distributing the contents of a few cases of alcopops.

...if that wasn't illegal under the "Representation of the People Act 1995", Chapter 13, Part 4, Point 32, which would see this as bribery... :rolleyes:

Anyone wanting extra votes in Douglas will have to spend Friday evenings at the rose gardens on Broadway distributing the contents of a few cases of alcopops.

...if that wasn't illegal under the "Representation of the People Act 1995", Chapter 13, Part 4, Point 32, which would see this as bribery... :rolleyes:

You mean those candidates who used to emerge from meetings at Pulrose YMCA (now the Pinewood) in the 1960s and distribute ciggies to all the youngsters hanging around outside with an instruction to "tell your parents to vote for **** ****" were actually doing something illegal? :rolleyes:

I often wonder where bills like this come from?

16 year olds demanding? unlikely, ive never heard of youth groups lobbying for change.

EEC? dont sound right

Harmony with UK legislation?, nope

A whim of the civil service? dont sound right

A genuine concern of Mr Rodan to reward youth? dont sound right either.

How about an opportunity for publicity and soundbites as election approaches?

Whatever the reasons, i think the end result is sound as long as other restrictions on 16 year olds are brought into line with their new found political maturity.

Just had a thought, if we add x amount of new voters and a large amount of them do like some mature voters and dont bother, wont this have a poor effect on our turnout percentage.?

Like when the Manx fella emmigrated to Oz and the average IQ of both countries went up.

Archived