Manx Voters To Go To Polls At 16

The Old Git

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Doric has a very very good idea in that a 16 - 18 year old should stand, or maybe one from Castle Rushen, one from QEII, one from Ramsey, one from St Ninians, and one from Ballakermeen..

But not one from King Williams/Buchan. They are the back room boys (and girls) who really run the Island.

Sad but actually true . . . . but come the revolution . . . .

Mrs Craine MHK for Ramsey is against giving 16 year olds the vote:

Manx Radio Report

I would agrea with her comment

there are many pressures on young people and lowering the voting age could amount to passing them a burden they cannot shoulder

Surely very few 16 year olds want a vote. If they do want to vote then there is something far wrong with their lives.

They should be concentrating on ridding themselves once and for all of their spots and getting off with the lass in the year below who plays hockey on a Wednesday afternoon when you have double Physics. Like what I did.

Oh, and what happens when (not if) the next government screw up? The blame iwill be put down to the inexperienced juvenile voters putting them in positions of power.

This whole episode is an absolute farce. Dreamed up, I am sure to take away focus from the Real Issues (I love that cliche!) which include - but are not limited to - MEA, Gov Buildings, DHSS, Mount Murray (hah - that ain't over yet our kid), IRIS, Childcare etc.

Girl89-seems like "a wise head on young shoulders"...just the sort of individual that ought to seriously think about a career in politics and who should stand...nothing ventured nothing gained..and think of going from school straight into a £35K salary and generous pension with the possibility for other commercial advantages..even if its only for a single five year term think of the CV...

What gets me is that they can't get the people who have the right to vote out to the polls. Although I agree with the idea of having one adult age that covers all, I think you need to do something about the low turnouts at elections before you add extra voters.

Do what they do down under. You have not just a right to vote, but a responsibility. This means you earn yourself a small but noticable fine if you don't get off your backside and vote on election day (I think it's about $50 Aus).

I would add to that a box on the ballot that says "I don't agree with any of the above".

If the "I don't....." votes outnumber the votes for the winner, then disqualify all the candidates for a year and re-run the election. This might light a fire under some of the politicians.

Just a thought.

(Mr Wolf steps back and narrowly avoids falling off his soap box. :) )

Girl89-seems like "a wise head on young shoulders"...just the sort of individual that ought to seriously think about a career in politics and who should stand...nothing ventured nothing gained..and think of going from school straight into a £35K salary and generous pension with the possibility for other commercial advantages..even if its only for a single five year term think of the CV...

An interesting post.

I take it this young lady is an Onchan lass.

There will be 3 seats contested. 1 of them surely up for grabs, and another a possibility for a contest.

See it as a 'protest' vote if you like. A 17 year old school girl in Manx Parliament . . . some outrageous publicity there alright for the Island.

or

a serious vote. Whether she knows it or not girl89 has shown a lot of her character on this forum (not least her braveness to delve into this forum and stick it out with all the sharks that are about).

Honesty. Intelligence. Strength of character.

And of course the new teenage voter should be itching to mark their 'X' for one of their own.

Oh to be 16 again!!!!!

lisner

Archived