Manx Voters To Go To Polls At 16

The Old Git

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, 16 year olds are as gullible as the rest then.

I wonder what our 16 year olds think about unelected members of the Legislative Council?

I don't think they will be as gullible as the rest of us there, our kid.

:)

Does anyone honestly believe that there are many 16-year-olds who are absolutely panting to vote? Apart from a large number who would, after being told to put an 'X' on the voting form, ask "How d'you spell that?" there are probably no more than a tiny minority who really have any knowledge of how the local system works(?).

The trouble is that an imaginative candidate, by presenting him/herself as a champion of young people's rights, could probably swing a close election result by harnessing the 'youth' vote.

Do we then have to look forward to the possibility of elected representatives who require special allowances to be made for their behaviour by virtue of their ....................... (age) ?

At least immaturity would be a good reason for them to get away with it, the reasons of some of our politicians at the minute don't hold as much water!

However, I am quite capable of checking the level of personal allowances in this fair Isle and weighing that against average salaries for 16 year old sprogs.

They still pay tax, do they not? Young workers are likely to go over their personal allowance if they work in a full time job.

Best thing 16 year old people can do is enjoy being young.

I agree entirely, i would hate to see a 16 year old stand for election. They've got a lot more to do whilst they are still young, let them do it.

Archived