Sitting Members - One At A Time (6) Steve Rodan

Lonan3

Would you vote for  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hon Stephen Charles Rodan, MHK for Garff since 1995 is this week's man in our spotlight.

My personal opinion (and I'll admit to a degree of bias because I know and like the guy and have even worked to help get him re-elected) is that he's one of a surprisingly small number of genuine democrats in Tynwald. His attempt to get a fully elected Tynwald may have been thwarted by M(y) L(ife's) C(omfortable) but I've no doubt that he'll pursue it again given the chance.

I wasn't happy about him introducing the 'votes at 16' bill, but I guess others will feel differently.

I also think he's done a decent job, previously as Minister of Education and latterly as Minister of Health - both of which were seen as 'poisoned chalices' before he took them on.

The decision, however, is up to you. If you were able to vote in his constituency would you be for or against?

I voted yes.

An intelligent man and he speaks well etc.

And plays the bagpipes to boot.

But

Is he another of the Government freemason set though?

They're not all bad, but their *ahem* 'loyalties' need to be known imo before scribing my x

Quite simply another politician telling the electorate what they should want rather than listening to what they want. For an intelligent man he foolishly looks down upon the great unwashed and forgets who put him where he is today.

Smoking

The Isle of Man Government has recently indicated that it is planning a ban on smoking in all public 'enclosed spaces' including all public houses on the Island. In an interview given by the Minister for Health, Steve Roden, it has been stated that their is 'overwhelming public demand' for such a ban.

Wasting money

DHSS DEFENDS DUBLIN TRIP

HEALTH Minister Steve Rodan has defended a decision to take a six-strong delegation to Dublin on a fact-finding mission on smoking.

Mr Rodan was joined on the trip by Department of Health and Social Security chief executive David Killip, public health consultant Dr Paul Emerson, who has taken the lead on smoke ban legislation, Department of Local Government and the Environment assistant chief environmental health officer Ivan Bratty, DHSS political member Dominic Delaney MHK and DHSS and DLGE political member Anne Craine MHK.

It is understood the trip cost the DHSS in the region of £1,000.

Mr Rodan said all six people on the trip needed to be there.

Health

A HOSPITAL ward is to be axed and the number of acute beds slashed as health chiefs battle to shore up an £8 million overspend.

Waiting lists

HEALTH MINISTER: WAITING LISTS COULD GROW

HOSPITAL waiting lists could grow and non-core medical services be cut to cope with a health service financial crisis.

Health and Social Security Minister Steve Rodan has warned savings must be made as his department battles with a massive overspend. Next week he will ask Tynwald to hand over another £6.5 million to meet part of a projected £8 million overspend.

Education

EDUCATION REPORT DISCUSSED

A SCATHING report on the Department of Education will be discussed at the annual general meeting of the Manx Labour Party.

Chairman Lynda Ramsay said the afternoon session of the meeting will be devoted to debate on the report, carried out by Ofsted inspectors, which slammed the department's work as weak and claimed it didn't offer value for money.

The report was published last week following an inspection in June.

Mrs Ramsay said the discussion will be open to the public, but revealed invitations to Education Minister Steve Rodan and director of education John Cain had been declined as Mr Rodan is off the Island and Mr Cain has a prior engagement.

If you are un-happy with the way politics are in the Isle of Man at the moment then it is hard to vote yes for Mr. Roden.

Archived