Ballakermeen

Northline

I don't really teach my kids at home! hell no.

My eldest goes to King Williams because it suits him,my second boy has chosen not to go to KWC next term because he doesn't want to and my daughter will not be going to KWC because all the girls turn out snooty and stuck-up.

Horses for courses and all that......

I went to QE2,Ballakermeen and St Ninians. I think Balla' was the best.

I went to St.Ninians, it was pretty crap to be honest

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is that verifiable anyway that KWC has the 'best' academic record 'to date' - by what yardstick/criteria? 'Best' is a pretty vague statement...pupil:teacher ratio? GSCE 'pass' rate, most students with 4 A grades at a level etc?

Going by the G.C.S.E. results and A Level results.

One thing I learnt at King Bills was how to pass exams with minimum knowledge. Having said that the school is gaining a very fine reputation. The current prinicpal is doing an excellent job.

A few years ago a couple of the state schools were getting better results than KWC - allegedly the reason they have switched to the Baccalaureate type exams is to avoid embarrasing comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't send my children to Ballakermeen. I was interested in teaching at one point so was invited on a tour. I didnt like the fact that they made such a big deal regarding 'special children', ones with no home life and I guess all the new breed of ADHD kids. If you agree with giving them lots of time out then instead of studying to help them 'fit in' (which I fail to see how that helps any normality) you will think the place is great. However personally, I think when a child is disrupted and beats another child up, they should be punished - not treated as special and allowed to go out with another group on an outing in the same afternoon!!!

Not that that happened of course! :o

If you are in Douglas - St Ninians all the time. I dont think there is much between St Ninians/QE2/Castlerushen.

I wouldn't send my children to Ballakermeen. I was interested in teaching at one point so was invited on a tour. I didnt like the fact that they made such a big deal regarding 'special children', ones with no home life and I guess all the new breed of ADHD kids. If you agree with giving them lots of time out then instead of studying to help them 'fit in' (which I fail to see how that helps any normality) you will think the place is great. However personally, I think when a child is disrupted and beats another child up, they should be punished - not treated as special and allowed to go out with another group on an outing in the same afternoon!!!

Not that that happened of course! :o

If you are in Douglas - St Ninians all the time. I dont think there is much between St Ninians/QE2/Castlerushen.

glad you won't be my daughers teacher. she will be at ballakermeen soon and I would rather the disruptive kids with no home life were helped some rather than punished. do you kick a dog to train it? if you do you end up with a mean dog.

Agree with you on that one Deejay, aesthetically, its a pig's ear! The original part of the building, although a bit utilitarian, was symmetrical and fitted the site well, but the add-ons, Jeez!!

Park Road is a school without a face, IMO, it's all kind of turned in on itself. Been to all three Douglas high schools, so I feel qualified to comment!

Archived