Important Road Closure Notice

Stavros

This is probably more important for people travelling from the South of the Island to Douglas on a daily basis:

http://www.gov.im/infocentre/ViewNews.gov?...ml&menuid=10160

BOROUGH OF DOUGLAS (OLD CASTLETOWN ROAD/LEIGH TERRACE) (TEMPORARY PROHIBITION OF THROUGH TRAFFIC) ORDER 2006 - Transport Public Notice

Under Section 3 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1985 the Department gives notice that it intends to make an Order the effect of which will be to prohibit the use to vehicular traffic of that section of Old Castletown Road/Leigh Terrace, Douglas from its junction with Bridge Road to a point 100 metres south of its junction with Bridge Road.

The Order will come into effect from 6.00am on Sunday 19 February 2006 and continue in force until 6.00pm on Friday 24 February 2006 or until the drainage connection and cable work is completed, whichever is the earlier.

An alternative route for traffic will be via New Castletown Road, Quarterbridge or Groves Road, Peel Road and Lord Street, Douglas.

The contractor for this work is Auldyn Construction Limited, telephone 662466.

This Order temporarily prohibits vehicular traffic from a section of Old Castletown Road/Leigh Terrace, Douglas.

Stav.

At least it's during half term. If I remember correctly, the last time they tried to close that road for a period of time, it lasted one day and they had to put traffic lights up around the road works and weight restrictions were put in place.

Stav.

The advance notices are pretty unhelpful as it wasn't clear if the Old Castletown Road itself would be closed (or for that matter that Leigh Terrace was actually a row of houses on the OCR). Thanks Stavros, I now know to avoid that route into work next week!

At least it's during half term. If I remember correctly, the last time they tried to close that road for a period of time, it lasted one day and they had to put traffic lights up around the road works and weight restrictions were put in place.

Stav.

And all the fuzz is only, so 15 new apartments can get their toilets connected - this place feels like Bob the Builders holiday camp at the moment - they even switched off the Gas today - argh...

I think I'll strategically position my deckchair outside on Sunday, and indulge in a spot of "count the disbelievers", i.e. all the cars that come down here and have to turn around - might even open a little service station for stressed commuters during the week :)

post-1086-1139920842_thumb.gif

so with extra traffic coming in on the New Castletown Road traffic coming in from Peel will soon be backed up to Union Mills....mayhem!!!

I guess you may have a point there - well, any smart motorist who's in the know now, would simply leave home 10 minutes earlier than usual to get around it, or use flexi time if possible - Manx Rush hour minutes have always been a pretty predictable thing - one minute, there's no traffic - next minute, its mayhem, and 20 minutes later, its all gone....

Manx Rush hour minutes have always been a pretty predictable thing - one minute, there's no traffic - next minute, its mayhem, and 20 minutes later, its all gone....

Yeah, my wife said that our sex life was like that, one minute there's nothing, next minute it's mayhem and 2 minutes later, it's all gone!

Stav.

Unless your name is Bo Duke or Michael Knight, there's no way through down here now, so don't do what dozens of cars have been doing all day - lost count already of how many people ignored the (bright red) ROAD CLOSED signs and had to turn around - can't people read? It says "Road Closed", not "Road might be open", or "You'll squeeze through there, mate!" :wacko:

post-1086-1140356264_thumb.jpg

At least I can count the disbelievers in total comfort from my new, more roomy, office - first time ever that I've managed to post something from the middle of a road. :)

post-1086-1140356416_thumb.jpg post-1086-1140356451_thumb.jpg

Please note: The office pictured is available to rent - prime location near the busy Douglas finance district - very sought after, 5 minutes walk to the town centre and supermarket, fully air conditioned, plenty of floor space, bins emptied every Monday - Only £ 15000p.a. !

Be quick! Offer only available this week! :whistling:

My dad has a massive rant at the Engineer in charge a few weeks ago when the bridge was closed as they hadn't put up any signs coming out of Douglas to say it was closed.

Surfice to say we were going over the bridge and when he wanted to turn right thismorning and noticed the road was closed, some restraint was needed as the engineer was to the left of the car again....

yep, it appears to be - might wanna park at heritage homes or further down the quay, though...

One of the guys at the site was saying it may take less time than expected, and the road actually looks open now - will keep an eye on it...

Good news: The road is open now, and one of the chaps down there was saying that they are finished with digging and the road won't be closed again. Still needs some resurfacing, though, and it's still only one lane.

Archived