Seal Murder

Tango

post-503-1139923488_thumb.jpgIt's that time of year again. I can't find my post from last year so here is a new one.

If you see an 'abandoned' baby seal leave it alone because it's not abandoned - it's waiting for a sea kayaker like these chaps to come and murder it..... unless its mum gets to it first.

I know, it's a horrible fact of nature - IF YOU TOUCH THE BABY SEAL IT IS DEAD. :o

Last weekend at the Calf sound I saw a group actually passing around a seal pup to cuddle! Why oh why didn't the last person just give it a hug and then stamp on its head?

Looking from a distance is ok, touching or even getting too close is not ok.

OK? :D

post-503-1139923488_thumb.jpgIt's that time of year again. I can't find my post from last year so here is a new one.

If you see an 'abandoned' baby seal leave it alone because it's not abandoned - it's waiting for a sea kayaker like these chaps to come and murder it..... unless its mum gets to it first.

I know, it's a horrible fact of nature - IF YOU TOUCH THE BABY SEAL IT IS DEAD. :o

Last weekend at the Calf sound I saw a group actually passing around a seal pup to cuddle! Why oh why didn't the last person just give it a hug and then stamp on its head?

Looking from a distance is ok, touching or even getting too close is not ok.

OK? :D

Tango Nov 15 2004, 03:24 PM Post #20

MF Senior Member

Group: Regulars

Member No.: 503

".........to be honest I once shot a seal in the head with a slingshot. I was aiming for the area of water around it just to give it a fright.

Well, a 9mm steel ball bearing to the head at 200mph sure gave it a fright. I still feel bad about it. "

And your telling people to leave Seals alone, yep I'm REALLY going to listen to you!

http://www.sealsanctuary.co.uk/sealpupspr.html

Joint Press Release with NSS, RSPCA and BDMLR

6th October 2005

Public urged to leave baby seals alone

Following two incidents on the same day (3rd October 2005) when seal pups were disturbed by members of the public, three welfare organisations are urging the public not to touch newborn seal pups.

The RSPCA [1], National Seal Sanctuary [2] and British Divers Marine Life Rescue [3] are all calling for members of the public not to touch young seal pups.

In one incident, at Baggy Point near Croyde in North Devon, a newborn grey seal pup had been noted by a National Trust warden on the morning of the 3rd October 2005. Unfortunately a member of the public found the animal and picked it up, assuming it had been abandoned. However, the mother of the pup had been sighted nearby earlier in the day. Once the pup was touched and moved, it had to be collected and transported to the RSPCA’s wildlife hospital at Taunton where it will be reared and eventually released back to the wild.

RSPCA [1] Inspector Tony Woodley said, “As soon as I heard about this seal pup I immediately attempted to contact whoever was at the beach and request them to leave the pup alone, but it was too late. Grey seal pups are being born around the coast of the South West now and for the first three weeks of their lives they appear helpless, but in fact they are usually under the watchful eye of the mother seal. Grey seal females often feed the pup at four-hourly intervals and will retreat to the surf in between.”

Meanwhile, at a cove near Tintagel on the North Cornwall coast, another seal pup had been noticed by a member of the public. This pup was also picked up and moved some distance. Unfortunately by the time that staff at the National Seal Sanctuary were able to advise the person over the phone, it was too late. The very young pup had disappeared into the water and it is not known if it will be reunited with its mother.

Dr. Glenn Boyle of the National Seal Sanctuary [2] said, “This is a very unfortunate incident and a young seal’s life was put at risk. We urge members ofthe public not to pick up seal pups they find.”

“Anyone who finds a seal on the beach is asked not to approach it and to keep dogs and children under control as seals have very sharp teeth. If anyone wants further advice about whether the seal is OK or needs assistance, please call one of the rescue organisations.” continued Glenn.

If members of the public wish to find out more about what to do if they find a seal or any other marine animal, they can train as a Marine Mammal Medic with the country’s largest marine animal rescue volunteer organisation, B.D.M.L.R. [3]

Lissa Goodwin, Devon Coordinator for BDMLR said, “Members of the public should not approach seal pups and should call us for assistance. If they would like to train as a Marine Mammal Medic, give BDMLR HQ a call or check the charity’s website. Last year over thirty BDMLR Medics took turn in watching over a mother and baby seal at Hope Cove in South Devon. The pup was born on a public beach and we all marvelled at the fabulous views we were treated to as the pup grew up and eventually left the cove.”

“We cannot watch over every seal pup like this, so please do not touch these vulnerable pups but ask for help and we will get a trained person to attend and see if the animal really does need help.” continued Lissa.

Anyone who finds a seal is asked not to approach it and if concerned about its welfare should call British Divers Marine Life Rescue on 01825-765546, the RSPCA on 08705 555999 or, if in Cornwall, the National Seal Sanctuary on 01326 221361.

Stav.

I've heard Tango looks like a Daddy Bull Seal in his wetsuit.....

:lol:

Yes I do. This is how the 'Tango(Tangoman) thing came about. When I am filming in the waves

I wear an orange top so that surfers,kayakers,kite boarders,jetskis,etc can see me......or that's what

I tell people.

The real reason I wear it is to stop seals from trying to mate with me.....oh god I feel so unloved. :(

Why is touching them such a big deal?

As soon as you touch the pups your scent is on them and they will be abandoned by their mother. One dead pup.

:angry:

I actually didnt know that, thanks.

Ive never actually seen a seal before, would love to see one though

Kitty and anyone else - I am a qualified kayak instructor so if you want to see seals VERY close up then I'll take you out around the Calf sound for a paddle. No charge(apart from a pot of tea and a piece of carrot cake in the cafe)

And hey, we don't need to kill a single one! :)

Archived