Manx Energy Advice Centre At Silverdale

Amadeus

The Manx Energy Advice Centre at Silverdale is facing closure due to lack of funding.

In case you have never heard of this independent charity (which unfortunately does not have adequate funds for more publicity work): It has been set up to provide resources for the general public, as well as schools/teachers and anyone interested in alternative energy, such as wind, water or solar power.

The facilities at Silverdale are very informative, with demonstrations of renewable technologies, a comprehensive library, and it even generates its own 6kw of electricity via a water wheel connected to a turbine:

post-1086-1139942677_thumb.jpg post-1086-1139942695_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1139942736_thumb.jpg post-1086-1139942763_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, funds seem to be scarce, and the centre will run out of money at the end of April, when it will be closed for good unless an alternative strategy or more support is found.

The actual cost to keep the door open is a mere £ 60p/w or £ 3600/year, and it appears as if this facility has been widely overlooked in the past, although the topic it embraces is more up-to-date now than ever before, and the Island is a very suitable location for the use of alternative energy.

In a time when millions of pounds are spent on other government projects, such as the wedding cake, it would be a shame to see this facility go, and maybe it is time to raise its public profile more and make people aware of it.

Further plans and activities by the centre include:

- an infra-red camera survey service which can show total heat loss from your home or business. You will get a print out picture of your property indicating 'energy drain'

- The same service for government owned buildings and offices, hence reducing the heating cost for these structures and hopefully saving taxpayers money in the progress

- Days out for Schools and other interested groups - perfect for teachers (next to all the other resources it offers for schools)

- The employment of a new full time member of staff to support the facility, preferably a person with suitable experience

If you haven't been there yet, and are interested in alternative energy (or simply saving money by using the existing resources better), then a visit is highly recommended!

post-1086-1139942864_thumb.jpg

More information can be found by contacting the centre:

MEAC

Silverdale

Ballasalla

Isle of Man

IM9 3DS

Telephone:

01624 801247

http://www.meac.iofm.net/

On a side note: It is a shame to see Silverdale in its current state, with the restaurant closed and the facilities slowly falling apart - maybe it is time to think of a new concept or use for the facilities....

post-1086-1139942897_thumb.jpgpost-1086-1139942927_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1139942954_thumb.jpgpost-1086-1139942982_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So .. are you suggesting that the owner just hand it over to the Government so it can be run with public funds instead of operating as a Charity (which obviously hasn't proved to generate enough interest from the public)?

:blink:

So .. are you suggesting that the owner just hand it over to the Government so it can be run with public funds instead of operating as a Charity (which obviously hasn't proved to generate enough interest from the public)?

:blink:

As far as I understand it, the building itself is government owned, and leased out to a fella living off-island, who in turn rents it out room-by-room again. I guess it would be a matter of looking at the various options and possibilities available (i.e. gov run, more donations, etc..)

The main purpose of the topic is to point out that the centre exists and will probably close very soon - would be a shame to see a place go that promotes the conservation of our planet at such cheap cost, and can help you to pay less to the MEA in the process...

And Silverdale itself is still listed on the VisitIsleofMan site, together with the comment:

The centre dates from the Edwardian era and offers a cafe, shop, amusements, radio controlled boats, boating lake, picnic area, play park, a beautiful glen to explore and a new craft centre. clickey

Hardly accurate at the moment... Maybe a complete concept for Silverdale might be worth thinking about...

as a crazy idea we (forum members) could between us find 3.6k for the year.

I know that the center is a good idea, but if we could see if how many ppl would be interested.

I'm pretty sure that a few of the members on here might have only a few quid to spare, but there are more with a few more to spare.

If nothing else the publicity would do the forum a lot of good, and (possibly) embarass the Gvt into an amount of fiscal intervention.

Mods; is there any method of e-mailing or PMing all members to draw attention to this?

Apart from the monies for rent and everyday cost, Tom Durrant who runs the centre is looking for an enthusiast with the necessary skills to continue to run the Water Mill etc. as Tom is 75 and needs to ensure he has a successor.

The site is owned by DAFF. It is a briilliant project but it does need more support either from the public or an entrepreneur who can get all the site being used perhaps as a theme park.

Lone Wolf,

Tom would have to answer that one but it seems to me that although the Government supported the concept originally to promote renewable energy - and I realise you are an expert on the facts and figures on this - the project seems to have been abandoned. by them.

Mr Rimmington I am told feels the centre's site is wrong but if you want a water mill and a teaching resource to provide an example to the local community to become active in using renewable energy you can't dictate the site.

The Centre for Alternative Technology in Wales started small and is now a massive tourist attraction as well as an income generating business I think (not been there for a while, but you can check it out at http://www.cat.org.uk/index.tmpl?refer=index&init=1.

Car parking is a problem at Silverdale, so maybe the situation isn't right. Could it be too difficult to move a couple of water wheels and a roundabout. I'd flatten the shops at Tynwald Mills, which are completely out of place, and stick it there with it's nice big car park.

Maybe its not such a good idea to keep flogging a dead horse.

Power supply, even to a small community such as the Island, demands large scale solutions to the problems of good quality power and security of supply. Sorry guys but small scale projects such as roof mounted wind turbines and the odd 6 or 7 kw mast arent viable and are likely to create more problems than they would solve. Ive already posted the UK DTI cost benefit assessment of such schemes in another thread but here it is again if anyone is interested in the facts rather than romantic notions. Micro Generation Report

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not arguing individuals shouldnt pursue their own projects. Good luck to anyone who does so. However, dont be misled into thinking this is a way forward in terms of energy policy because you would be disappointed.

If the Island is serious about renewables the Government will require a total rethink of its existing energy policies. It will have to sell the idea to the Manx public and this will include an acceptance of the higher costs associated with renewable energy sources.

No one should imagine it would be a cheap option even allowing for economies of scale.

The MEA owns a sub sea interconnector and is able to source power exclusively generated by technologies such as wind power. So the Island is already capable of sourcing a good proprtion of its power requirements from renewables.

Why hasnt it done so ?

One would have imagined that former members of the Green Party, such as John Rimington, would have been pushing hard for the Island to do just that. The answer, my friends, is that renewables do not make economic sense at this moment in time.

Its clearly a matter of economics and making best use of what resources and assets are available to the Island. After all it wouldnt make a whole lot of sense to spend a fortune on top class energy infrastructure only to abandon it in favour of more expensive energy sources.

As for the Silverdale project Im afraid I have a great deal of difficulty in seeing what purpose it serves. It clearly hasnt been a success in either commercial or educational terms.

There are no electric bills. The centre is completely self-sufficient on this score as it generates its own electricity from the water mill via a turbine (6kw).

The charity received a start up grant from the Government but nothing since. How much I do not know but at that time someone in Government thought the educational value of the project had merit. Perhaps the Government should now disclose what it really thinks. I know Mr Rimmington would probably go along with Lone Wolf's opinions which of course have merit and are based on hard headed facts.

But it is possible that someone would like to revive the project and even expand it.

Maybe its not such a good idea to keep flogging a dead horse.

Power supply, even to a small community such as the Island, demands large scale solutions to the problems of good quality power and security of supply. Sorry guys but small scale projects such as roof mounted wind turbines and the odd 6 or 7 kw mast arent viable and are likely to create more problems than they would solve. Ive already posted the UK DTI cost benefit assessment of such schemes in another thread but here it is again if anyone is interested in the facts rather than romantic notions. Micro Generation Report

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not arguing individuals shouldnt pursue their own projects. Good luck to anyone who does so. However, dont be misled into thinking this is a way forward in terms of energy policy because you would be disappointed.

If the Island is serious about renewables the Government will require a total rethink of its existing energy policies. It will have to sell the idea to the Manx public and this will include an acceptance of the higher costs associated with renewable energy sources.

No one should imagine it would be a cheap option even allowing for economies of scale.

The MEA owns a sub sea interconnector and is able to source power exclusively generated by technologies such as wind power. So the Island is already capable of sourcing a good proprtion of its power requirements from renewables.

Why hasnt it done so ?

One would have imagined that former members of the Green Party, such as John Rimington, would have been pushing hard for the Island to do just that. The answer, my friends, is that renewables do not make economic sense at this moment in time.

Its clearly a matter of economics and making best use of what resources and assets are available to the Island. After all it wouldnt make a whole lot of sense to spend a fortune on top class energy infrastructure only to abandon it in favour of more expensive energy sources.

As for the Silverdale project Im afraid I have a great deal of difficulty in seeing what purpose it serves. It clearly hasnt been a success in either commercial or educational terms.

Sorry to reproduce your last post in full, but:-

Economies of scale. - MEA has a gas piline to the IOM, Power cables & potential data with the fibre - what of any of this is actually being used at present??

You say the Island is potentially capable of receiving our incoming power over the sub sea cable via renewables - how can we do this - at present, we don't have any choice at all of where any power on the cables actually comes from, - for all we know, 90% of the "potential" pwer coming down this cable could come from Sellafield....

What really annoys me is that we should be looking more at ways of conserving energy, rather than looking into making profit by having to sell more of the stuff, by using things such as power factor correction, and other better use of our energy, we could actually bring our consumption of electicity down to maybe 30-50% less than we are using at the moment - surely this would be better of ourselves & the environment.

Maybe we should give the MEA some sort of option by rewarding people/companies who are more efficient with their power use, rather than rewarding the "biggest consumers"????

Economies of scale. - MEA has a gas piline to the IOM, Power cables & potential data with the fibre - what of any of this is actually being used at present??

They havent published annual accounts for a long time so we will have to wait for accurate answers.

However I do know the interconnector is used for both import and export and the gas turbines are utilised as well.

You say the Island is potentially capable of receiving our incoming power over the sub sea cable via renewables - how can we do this - at present, we don't have any choice at all of where any power on the cables actually comes from, - for all we know, 90% of the "potential" pwer coming down this cable could come from Sellafield....

According to PKF report MEA buys and sells power on the energy markets.

It doesnt really matter where the actual physical power comes from. You are correct in so much as all the fuel sources are mixed in the system. However,the point is that power generated from renewable sources can be purchased on the markets. This would be delivered onto the National Grid or, more likely, into a regional distribution system, and would, of course, displace power generated by conventional means as the system has to be balanced. Thats how its done, the Island would be purchasing a large proportion of its power from renewable sources.

Its no different than purchasing power from PowerGen (or whatever they are called these days). There is no certainty that Powergen would have generated the actual units which arrive at your meters. They dont travel down the cables with a delivery label for Matty ! But you would still have bought from Powergen.

What really annoys me is that we should be looking more at ways of conserving energy, rather than looking into making profit by having to sell more of the stuff, by using things such as power factor correction, and other better use of our energy, we could actually bring our consumption of electicity down to maybe 30-50% less than we are using at the moment - surely this would be better of ourselves & the environment.

I think you are overly optimistic with your figures but yes this would be a useful cost saving measure.

Archived