Manx Energy Advice Centre At Silverdale

Amadeus

Reducing consumption and energy efficiency seems to be something we can all agree on. So we actually need a Manx Energy Advice Centre which provides this service telling pepole how to be efficient, how to save money, how to reduce carbon emissions and help to save the planet but what happens?

The powers that be turn their back and abandon a project which aims to do just that!

Hopefully it is not too late to spend a little to help the public to save a lot in the long term.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reducing consumption and energy efficiency seems to be something we can all agree on. So we actually need a Manx Energy Advice Centre which provides this service telling pepole how to be efficient, how to save money, how to reduce carbon emissions and help to save the planet but what happens?

The powers that be turn their back and abandon a project which aims to do just that!

Hopefully it is not too late to spend a little to help the public to save a lot in the long term.

Nice sentiments Charles but the problem is on a scale which projects such as this one are totally inadequate for.

Government would do a great deal more, locally, by introducing building regulations to ensure new builds met certain standards than they would by subsidising the Silverdale project. This would help but we need to think on a bigger scale.

Im afraid the facts are that there is little or no interest in making a genuine attempt to reduce emissions. If there was, we would already be importing power generated from renewable sources.

I agree on building standards and ensuring all new build meets energy efficiency criteria.

As for the interest in reducing emissions I would dispute your assertion there is no interest, there is but far more needs to be done on education, grants to get things moving and so on. However as the Government has got themselves in the mire certainly as far as public perceptions are concerned, maybe small scale renewable energy projects will be neglected. Certainly no financial help for those willing to install solar panels,or wind turbines is presently available from Government because they are waiting for it to become cost effective.

I have no idea whether Silverdale has a future and I have told Tom this but I believe there is someone somewhere on this Island who may hold the key and may be willing to continue with the project which he has started.

Apart from the monies for rent and everyday cost, Tom Durrant who runs the centre is looking for an enthusiast with the necessary skills to continue to run the Water Mill etc. as Tom is 75 and needs to ensure he has a successor.

The site is owned by DAFF. It is a briilliant project but it does need more support either from the public or an entrepreneur who can get all the site being used perhaps as a theme park.

Calling: GRAHAM FERGUSON-LACEY? :ph34r:

As for the interest in reducing emissions I would dispute your assertion there is no interest, there is but far more needs to be done on education, grants to get things moving and so on. However as the Government has got themselves in the mire certainly as far as public perceptions are concerned, maybe small scale renewable energy projects will be neglected. Certainly no financial help for those willing to install solar panels,or wind turbines is presently available from Government because they are waiting for it to become cost effective.

To be fair Charles I dont personally think it would be appropriate to make grants available to individuals installing small scale kit. Take a look at the DTI paper I posted and you might get an idea why.

There is a cognitive problem associated with energy supply and it is one of scale. People find it very difficult indeed to envisage the scale on which energy supply operates. When I say there is little or no interest in reducing emissions I am referring to solutions of sufficient scale to make an impact on the problem or at least meet national targets in excess of 30 % reduction of emissions. The Island is uniquely placed to make reductions of this magnitude because it has access to the energy markets and it has a suitably sized interconnector. If there was sufficient interest on the Island we would already be importing power generated from renewable sources across the interconnector.

I have already said good luck to anyone who wants to run their own micro project but you have to be realistic about what is achievable and what limited potential such projects possess. In addition, they would cause as many problems as they would solve because they are not firm capacity. That has implications for security of supply and the well being of the economy as a whole. Think about it.

It would be a mistake for the Government to encourage small scale renewable projects IMHO because the problem is not small scale.

Think Big !!

Well the MEA certainly thought big!

But I do not disagree in principle about what you are saying. Economies of scale are important for large scale supply.

However, I believe there is room for both the big operation and the small one for the enthusiast which I am pleased to see you agree with provided no Government monies are involved. Government must look for best practice, value for money etc. but the MEAC is simply a teaching resource which could be linked to a green theme park and it may well be there is a role for Government in this. If the public have no interest in renewable energy - and I dispute this as the evidence indicates otherwise, this place should close. But if there is someone out there who wants it to continue I simply ask they contact Mr Durrant as soon as possible.

If we are serious about renewables on this Island we have to educate the people about the basics which I submit the MEAC can do. We also need to be educated about energy efficient design such as at Auldyn School

Of course,we still await the All Island Strategic Plan to lay down some modern rules about energy efficiency.

If the public have no interest in renewable energy - and I dispute this as the evidence indicates otherwise,

I agree there is some interest amongst the public but this isnt what I was referring to. All about context you know :rolleyes:

Im talking about the sort of interest (political) which translates into properly funded policies and projects.

I don't know anything about this, but are solar panels on the roof worth getting?

Yes they are even in our not so sunny climes. Best as part of a whole house project to optimise your energy use.

Edit: Ive been trying to locate details of a study in Milton Keynes where a number of householders took part in whole house projects.

My memory tells me that payback took about 3 - 4 years but I cant find the study to confirm.

Lone Wolf,

I am well aware of the context and also the fact that the present "Keys" are inadequate to do anything about it.

Certainly the idea of buying "renewable energy" would find favour with many who are interested in reducing carbon dioxide emissions. This is a major issue and I hope it is an issue which is brought to the fore.

Can you suggest how the public can be better informed on this so that pressure can be put on the politicians to do something about it?

Cool - might look into this. Even if it costs more than it saves, there must be some good in it. What else needs doing to a house?

Tugger,

My suggestions:

Low energy light bulbs

Increase insulation in your loft

Ensure your central heating boiler is in your house

Contact the Energy Saving Trust - they have a website

Cool - might look into this. Even if it costs more than it saves, there must be some good in it. What else needs doing to a house?

Now thats a job for a properly qualified energy auditor! It will vary from house to house.

Most folks will already have done the big ones these days, cavity insulation, roofspace insulation,low energy lamps,low energy appliances etc. If my memory is correct, and it isnt always, the folks in Milton Keynes went in for high efficiency boilers, some installed heat pumps. I also recall the report stated the biggest heat losses were found at service entry points for pipes and cables In other words check where the plumbers have led pipes into the house.

As an aside maybe that is a service the Government could usefully provide, a domestic energy audit service to provide sound advice to householders on optimising their energy use.

Archived