Manx Energy Advice Centre At Silverdale

Amadeus

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Certainly the idea of buying "renewable energy" would find favour with many who are interested in reducing carbon dioxide emissions. This is a major issue and I hope it is an issue which is brought to the fore.

I would suspect the rapid and accelerating depletion of oil and gas will do more to bring renewable technologies to the fore than any amount of campaigning. It will be driven by the market

Can you suggest how the public can be better informed on this so that pressure can be put on the politicians to do something about it?

To be honest Charles, I dont believe small projects such as the Silverdale facility are the answer if that is what you are driving at. You might need to take a step back and examine the political realities.

First of all, because of the lunatic way in which Treasury have decided to fund MEA debt, there isnt a lot of political brownie points available for mooting an alternative to the current energy strategy. Who the hell front loads payments on a debt that size ??

The best way for the public to be kept informed IMHO is for a Government funded agency, to take out newspaper space and radio time each quarter to deliver informed energy reports taking account of all the best analysts and market trends. Low cost delivery to a maximum audience and no kite flying for one energy source over another. If all the top analysts are correct, the time will come when this sort of information will force a move of some sort to reliance on renewables. Facts and figures will result in pressure on politicians and a well informed public. (Am I hinting at consensus ??)

For further information check this lot out ... interesting reading and credible folk Energy Crisis

This is what the MEAC was set up to do!

And this audit service should be Government funded.

Thats a totally different role to the operation at Silverdale. You have already stated it was envisaged as an educational service. It certainly has never operated as a domestic energy audit service for householders.

I agree an audit service should be Government funded and it also needs to be backed up by building regulations.

LoneWolf

Many thanks for this.

I did call on Mr Durrant a few days ago and I took away one of his leaflets which appears to indicate he has operated or at least had hoped to operate an audit service as well as an educational function.

I quote from his leaflet:

Energy Efficiency Advice:

Demonstrations include a mock up of a roof structure showing how best to insulate your loft area for maximum energy efficiency, best practice in such areas as draught proofing, low energy appliances, double glazing etc.

There is an infra-red camera survey service which can show total heat loss from your home or business. You will get a print out picture of your prperty including 'energy drain'. Many homes and businesses could save money on energy conservation, making our survey very cost effective.

We have videos and books on how to DIY - whether with wind, hydro, or sun, or even building yourself an electric car.

There is an infra-red camera survey service which can show total heat loss from your home or business. You will get a print out picture of your prperty including 'energy drain'. Many homes and businesses could save money on energy conservation, making our survey very cost effective.

Nice one. Im all for that provided its properly staffed and funded and available to all.

I think we agree on the need for individuals to optimise their energy use and an audit service is or would be a key element in achieving that.

Totally different context to the problem of providing high quality secure power systems. We seem to be heading for a crisis and need to find a solution set, at an appropriate scale, to replace our reliance on fossil fuels.

We also need to appreciate the difference between what is achievable by small scale projects and what is required for large scale security of supply.

IMHO we wont get there until we have a consensus on national and international energy policies.

(The market will deliver !!!)

Lonewolf, - I can agree with your post saying that when power comes over the submarine cable that some of it maybe from renewables - which IMO is a good thing, the only problem for me is we don't actually have any choice of where the power actually comes from.

I also don't think it would be a major expenditure (£500 as a quick guess) for many homes over here to be fitted with small wind generators charging a small bank of batteries for lighting - backed up my mains power to charge the batteries (in the unlikely event that we were without wind for any considerable amount of time), they would be perfect for this purpose, if half of the houses on the IOM were fitted with this it would save the householders a fortune I estimate it would easily pay for itself within 3-5 years (especially with the continuing rise in gas prices), as well as reducing the IOM's Co2 emissions.

The only problem I can see why the government wouldn't support this at all is because of the recent MEA fiasco, to enable to pay off the recent MEA debts, they have to try and sell as much electricity as they possibly can as quickly as they can, any form of renewable power would totally get in the way of this process, so I don't think there's a cat in hells chance of the government being in anyway serious about renewable energy!

Totally agree and I am with you 100% on finding a solution to the energy crisis. Perhaps some of us could use rather less but there also needs to be drastic international Government action.

I like the Bush quotes under politics in Energy Crisis - I think he was trying to say something about wind! It is worth a look for anyone who wants to see what the world is up against!

Lonewolf, - I can agree with your post saying that when power comes over the submarine cable that some of it maybe from renewables - which IMO is a good thing, the only problem for me is we don't actually have any choice of where the power actually comes from.

Yes you do. you buy it all renewables and as explained earlier it displaces power generated by other means on the system.

I also don't think it would be a major expenditure (£500 as a quick guess) for many homes over here to be fitted with small wind generators charging a small bank of batteries for lighting - backed up my mains power to charge the batteries (in the unlikely event that we were without wind for any considerable amount of time), they would be perfect for this purpose, if half of the houses on the IOM were fitted with this it would save the householders a fortune I estimate it would easily pay for itself within 3-5 years (especially with the continuing rise in gas prices), as well as reducing the IOM's Co2 emissions.

i prefer to rely on the facts Matty. I have posted a DTI paper in this thread which deals with the economics of micro generation. Im afraid the only reason for doing this would be altruistic. It is no way cost effective and, unfortunately, your cost estimate is out by a factor of 3 for a small wind turbine. Its a technology whose time will come but it will never be cost effective as micro generation. Renewables will emerge, Im sure, as a large scale technology.

The only problem I can see why the government wouldn't support this at all is because of the recent MEA fiasco, to enable to pay off the recent MEA debts, they have to try and sell as much electricity as they possibly can as quickly as they can

Thats entirely because of the bizarre funding method chosen by Treasury. It beggars belief they would deliberately choose to front load a paymant schedule on debts of this nature.

Energy & our use of it is THE most important subject societies have to face now as Climate Change becomes a frightening reality.

We have to drastically cut our CO2 emissions, starting 'right' now, not in 2, 3, 5, 10yrs. At this point I have to say in no way should we go down the nuclear path, in my opinion.

I don't mean to drift off the thread & I whole heartedly wish the MEAC DOES keep running.

It is there to educate the public in alternative & greener energy sources + & this is important, it can encourage people to cut back their wastage of energy by implementing sound ideas.

Surely we can cut back our CO2 emissions very quickly & cheaply by raising 1,000's of peoples consciousness.....can't we? - millions of energy users if governments really took the idea on board.

Look at the amount of advertising & policies on stopping smoking at the moment!

Energy & our use of it is THE most important subject societies have to face now as Climate Change becomes a frightening reality.

We have to drastically cut our CO2 emissions, starting 'right' now, not in 2, 3, 5, 10yrs. At this point I have to say in no way should we go down the nuclear path, in my opinion.

I don't mean to drift off the thread & I whole heartedly wish the MEAC DOES keep running.

It is there to educate the public in alternative & greener energy sources + & this is important, it can encourage people to cut back their wastage of energy by implementing sound ideas.

Surely we can cut back our CO2 emissions very quickly & cheaply by raising 1,000's of peoples consciousness.....can't we? - millions of energy users if governments really took the idea on board.

Look at the amount of advertising & policies on stopping smoking at the moment!

Second attempt at posting a reply to Flash. Possible a server crash ?

Anyhow ...............

Energy supply in Britain is a really complex game.

Most energy is sourced from huge scale markets by your supplier. The market structure favours those who can supply the cheapest and we end up taking energy based on burning fossil fuels. ... because it s the cheapest.

You have get into your head the scale of this operation. It is massive. Most people cant even begin to imagine the amount of energy required to service the UK economy.

No amount of educating the public will change this. You cant buck the market.

Witness the incredible row about high energy prices in the UK in yesterday's newspapers. Imagine if someone then suggested all energy should be sourced from renewables and we would have to pay the premium for it. result anarchy !

We are in a unique position in the Island because we can do just that. MeA has an asset that would allow us to take over 50% of our power from renewable sources. It would push up the price of power.

Would you be prepared to pay for it ?

Well isn't it good to know that the door step recycling collections in Governor's Hill are to end this week due to lack of interest from the residents. The collectors say that they are only collecting from approx 150 dwellings from a possible 600.

You can take a horse to water............

Archived