Farewell Smash Hits Magazine

the_kitty

Can't say I've seen anything of SH for many years, I remember my sister buying it when I would be buying the likes of CUT, NME & Melody Maker.

From the few looks at it then (probably circa 1989) - it seemed to contain exactly the same sort of crap seen in todays "celebrity" magazines - almost nothing about the music or "talents" of the "artists" - just a load of drivel about the likes of what car they drive, what silly perfume, or daft designer label sock they might be wearing, who they have been shagging this week, or who they've been seen with at Canne's or St Tropez, or Monaco.

I've always preferred "music" magazines to have references to/about music & musicians, not what they've had for dinner, or where they last bought a pair of trousers!

I have no sorrow at all at the demise of SH!

I liked Jason Donovan's (then Philip Schofield) Any Dream Will Do column. For those of you who never read it, it went a bit like this:

Amy from Manchester: Dear Jason, I had a dream that I was in a boat and my head was orange then I jumped out of the boat and Gary from Take That was in the sea.

Jason: That'll do!

Genius.

Archived