Charlie, Charlie, Charlie

steven !

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I would decriminalise the possession and open use of all ‘drugs’ within society and licence the premises where they could be sold. Maybe an extension to the tobacco or the pub licensing act would suffice.

Nature could then take its course and those who wanted to float off into eternal oblivion and in so doing remove themselves from the gene pool (hopefully before they had reproduced) could do so at the earliest possible opportunity.

Over a (hopefully short) period of time we would see a reduction in the number of congenital addictive personalities as the appropriate genes dried up not to mention a marked lack of ‘glamour’ and ‘rebellion’ aspects that illegal drugs presently have. Most kids knowing that ‘snorting a line’ would result in an early death would shy away and those that would not we would be well rid of anyway.

Added to that the extortionate high prices would fall so reducing the imperative for the druggies to engage in crime to get the wherewithal to buy their next totally and uniquely selfish indulgence.

As for the sentences on drug dealers – whilst certain drugs are declared to be illegal to possess or use unless under medical direction in society then I would very much like to see real draconian sentencing for dealers with a mandatory 20 years without parole for a third offence and mandatory rehab for first offender drug users followed by mandatory jail plus rehab for subsequent offences.

Remember, it’s not just the taking of illegal substances that is the issue, it’s what the inadequate self indulgent scum get up to in order to get the funds to purchase the drugs that must be considered. Things that very often can not be directly linked to simple possession.

That being said my preference would be legitimisation. It would make a massive impact on the rest of the crime that takes place.

It does seem extremely severe when compared against other sentences, as highlighted above.

But I suppose the Island wants to be seen as part of the international community which is supposedly fighting a war against drugs. Part of that war does involve people being killed. Dozens of police officers and sometimes their families in Columbia, for example. You can only really legalise it (or be more leniant) when the whole world does.

Fuck me, ten years in jail for selling products to adults that they willingly want to buy?

You'd get less than that for killing someone in a random attack:

http://www.iomonline.co.uk/ViewArticle2.as...rticleID=435283

Battering a baby:

http://www.iomonline.co.uk/ViewArticle2.as...rticleID=432088

Killing your wife:

http://www.iomonline.co.uk/ViewArticle2.as...ticleID=1217217

Or raping someone:

http://www.iomonline.co.uk/ViewArticle2.as...rticleID=435083

Mind you, since when did sentencing for drugs "crimes" make any sort of sense?

Seriously, ten years in jail?

Apparently it sends out a warning that drug traffickers can expect severe sentences.

It sends out a message to me that "justice" on the Isle of Man is fucked in the head.

ask yourself where those drugs come from. how many women corn fields were burned down for the sake of growing coca? how many men, women and children were killed and worse trying to protect their homes from drug lords in colombia?

true, i think drugs (all of them) should be legalised, taxed and monitored, but that doesnt change the fact that people are harmed rightnow because of "its" ( whatever "it" may be) production.

Whilst I can see the argument for legalising drugs, I also feel that the law as it is on some way protects children from easily obtaining them.

It's OK to say that an adult is responsible for their actions in taking drugs, but do children have the common sense to realise the consequences of such actions. There was a recent new story about some 11 year old girl who was taking Heroin in Scotland I think it was. If it was easy enough for an 11 year old to obtain an illegal substance what would it be like if all drugs were legal. How many people try smoking cigarettes as a kid, just because it's the thing to do. Doesn't mean they will continue smoking into adulthood, and luckily one or two cigarettes isn't going to do them much harm, but harder drugs is a different thing.

Personally I would decriminalise the possession and open use of all ‘drugs’ within society and licence the premises where they could be sold. Maybe an extension to the tobacco or the pub licensing act would suffice.

Nature could then take its course and those who wanted to float off into eternal oblivion and in so doing remove themselves from the gene pool (hopefully before they had reproduced) could do so at the earliest possible opportunity.

Over a (hopefully short) period of time we would see a reduction in the number of congenital addictive personalities as the appropriate genes dried up not to mention a marked lack of ‘glamour’ and ‘rebellion’ aspects that illegal drugs presently have. Most kids knowing that ‘snorting a line’ would result in an early death would shy away and those that would not we would be well rid of anyway.

Added to that the extortionate high prices would fall so reducing the imperative for the druggies to engage in crime to get the wherewithal to buy their next totally and uniquely selfish indulgence.

Kind of half agree on getting drugs out of the shadows to allow proper regulation etc, but I don't agree when you look at how alcohol is handled. I'm sure alcohol is seen at Governmental level as nothing more than a revenue earner and not a social issue.

I think Frank Zappa summed things up pretty well

A drug is neither moral nor immoral: its a chemical compound. The compound itself is not a menace to society until a human being treats it as if consumption bestowed a temporary licence to act like an asshole.

The only trouble is that a drug is an addictive chemical compound so its consumers are increasingly unable to control their use of it.

However acting like an asshole isn't compulsory when using drugs; its just very very likely.

You legalize it: usage will go up, and the number of assholes will go up too.

and the number of assholes will go up too.

nah - maybe just sometimes reveals the inner asshole. So to speak.

Like people who get aggressive when drunk. It isn't that the drink makes them nasty and aggressive. It's that sober they manage to hide it.

From today's Independent:

Deemster Doyle told the pair:

"It is people like you who are responsible for a lot of misery on the Island"

eh? wha?

In all reality, probably the only 'misery' is the other drug dealers who have had a little bit of their business taken away.

People don't take cannabis and cocaine because it makes them miserable, do they?

I've lived next door to a family whose son is a constant abuser of both alcohol & drugs.

It's a one parent family with a father who couldn't give a damn and a daughter who likes to get drunk every w/e as well...all living together in a two bedroomed terrace house!?

Believe me it really sours your view on 'drugs' use when you have this bunch of CHAV's living next door to you!

The Police know the house very well but the all night parties continue to go on & on & on.......for years now.

Drugs really do attract the dregs of society & I agree with the poster who said 'give it to them & get rid of them'!

Archived