My Car Is Stuck

zippy

the ramp on the ben is stuck (the one between the upper car deck and the exit ramp) It stuck when they tried to unload the cars teatime yesterday. My car has now been to heysham and back without me and unless I'm informed soon, it will be leaving again for heysham just before 9.00 this morning

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have they given you a free hire car?

Just been contacted (in last 10 mins) - one is on its way.

Still no ideas as to when the ramp will be fixed, I wouldn't like to be in their situation, it'll be pretty busy being the start of half term plus expensive for the all the hire cars they'll need . My car has just left for another trip across to heysham, I might pop and visit when its back in port tonight.

can recommend the old pub in Lower Heysham village - good food and I was informed good beer; pity doesnt open till 12 noon which means probably too late for a meal before check in but worth a lunch stop if you have time. The old church and ruins of the 8th century chapel complex are also worth seeing if you get to Heysham early.

Get some compo for the hassle you have had to put up with.

Just shows u how they sort a problem out, its probably only a hydralic problem, what do they pay the engineers for?

Having actually viewed the problem on the vessel in Douglas Harbour this morning, I can confirm that the problem is not with the hydraulic systems but is due to a hydraulic ram which has sheared. The ram actuates the lowering and raising of the ramp which allows access from the top to bottom deck. The ram is massive - over 50ft long when extended - and I would imagine is not something you can simply buy "off the shelf" removing and replacing it is a major operation and will be carried out whilst the vessel is travelling.

The shearing of the ram could not be foreseen and is no ones fault. A compensation claim is not applicable as there has been no negligence, and so any assistance from the Steam Packet would be seen as a goodwill payment. I have two vehicles stranded on the top deck and have received excellent communication and cooperation from the company regarding the problem.

Looks like she might have to go into drydock early then.

They could either crane off the cargo or perhaps use a double level ramp? She'd have to sail to Holyhead, and whether they can do something at the stern to make it work is another story- Edit - Can't Happen

Probably a crane job then...

I thinks most of the cars were craned off onto the Edward Pier and saw the Marks and Spencer trailer being emptied by hand into two Manx Independent lorries so M&S will be fully stocked tomorrow, there looks to be about 3 Tesco trailers among others up on the deck but couldn't see any action there. The story is the repairs will take at least 5 days!

I feel sorry for any of the supermarkets as most use the Just in Time stock control and mistakes and problems like this can have huge effects on businesses, Hope none of them had fresh food eithier, By the time it got to Tesco/MandS it probably wouldn't be worth much.

I feel sorry for any of the supermarkets as most use the Just in Time stock control and mistakes and problems like this can have huge effects on businesses, Hope none of them had fresh food eithier, By the time it got to Tesco/MandS it probably wouldn't be worth much.

That's probsably my main gripe with Tesco's that they use JIT stock control without taking into account the stretch of water between here and there!

Have alternative arrangements been put in place to carry over goods while the Ben is only partially operational?

Archived