Sitting Members - One At A Time (7) David Anderson

Lonan3

Would You Vote For  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This time up it's David Moore Anderson, MHK for Glenfaba since 2001, Minister of Education and recently in the news for his views on same-sex relationships

Could a mod please pin this - I missed out last week because my internet connection was down

As shocking as it sound I think Gilbey was a much better MHK. Aint seen Anderson once since he got elected, and doubt we will until he comes knocking for a vote.

Bloody Hell, now that's saying something ! :blink:

(Voted No, by the way) ;)

Well if the mods won't pin it I'll do a post to keep it on the page!

Apart from the spash the man made over homosexuality he's not appeared on my radar.

His "health consequences" pronouncements look like opportunism of the worst kind, and as the older more conservative generation are more likely to vote it'll probably be effective. For those of a certain generation they'll say he was neutral in his comments, and pointing out a fact. Of course Mr Anderson and his supporters seem to not understand that the policies that should result from this are improved education and communication, while they are advocating the opposite.

Walter was a good man for the people in his constituency. No matter what the problem might have been, a phone call or even local skeet would have him turn up at your doorstep in his little red Fiat with his notebook at the ready. Even through the year (even when you could do without the company) he would appear just for a brew and a chat. He was a man who genuinely cared for the people within his community. As such a person I have nothing but fond memories of those visits.

But, as well a being an expert tea drinker, he also did what he could to help. Notes from his little note-book were always followed up with a letter or telephone call to the relevant party. His actions may not always have had positive results but at least he tried and that counted for a lot.

For many years he was over looked when it came to allocation of a post as Minister - until of course - the poisoned chalice appeared that challenged him to sell to the people the proposition of having the incinerator in the area. As Minster of DOLGE he did his best to serve both the government and the people and, in the end was voted out. Personally, I cannot help but think that government knew exactly what they were doing. He was one of the old school who cared more about the man on the street than covering his own arse and somehow that didn't fit with the status quo back then.

If he were to stand again I have no doubt he would be voted in with a resounding yes. Not much chance now though. Sadly.

I can't say much about the other fella to be honest. Haven't seen him since the day he was voted in. Goes to church a lot and has a thing about queers though I believe. Will probably do very well.

Mr Gilbey used to follow up on people who were bereaved in his constituency to ensure they had all the support and help they needed.

One of his constituents told me this after he had turned up on their doorstep a few weeks aftershe had lost her husband.

I would vote NO on here and NO in November but I'm afraid that we won't have any choice in Glenfaba. Haven't seen him once since he was elected, even copied him into a letter I sent to the Chief Ministerand he didn't have the decency to acknowledge receiving the letter. (sent the letter to various members who had connections with transport, tourism and treasury, only 3 acknowledged receipt or showed any interest - got a snotty, lecturing letter from the then Minister for Transport JS and and a political speak letter from the then CM RC, both effectively told me to "do one") So in November I hope someone will stand against him just so I can vote him out!

Was in the company of someone in the Chief Secretary's office at a dinner a while back who said she thought DA was a very effective Minister of Education, when another person asked "in what way" (at the time he was getting a bit of stick around the dinner table), she said "well he's really improved and re-organised the Education office, it's much more effective now"....... stunned silence reigned! As long as everything is improving in the Government offices then all's right with the world!

Archived