Summerland The Future

jurby and behond!

It might be popular at the moment, but will it be in 2-3 years doubt it and how many people would regulary use an ice rink I know I certainly wouldn't in fact I doubt I'd ever go. I must admit I don't know what the best idea for the site is, I stil lthink a medium style music venue 300-500 people, sort of like a Barfly or Academy style venue would be great, it's that sort of size venue the Island is missing, I feel we could attract dozens of resonably big bands from the UK to play a venue that size. However it wouldn't be possible for them to play the Villa at the moment as it isn't profitable. It would also provide a good professionl (providing it was) set-up for the local bands to play. Just an idea but in the long run I think it ould be much better than an ice rink.

Yes I must admit I would go for a Lido size venue that could incorporate multi ideas. I remember the Lido used to have all day trade fairs with many of the top local companies falling over backwards trying to get a stall at the Lido Trade Fair. Large conference facilities are limited to the Villa and I know for a fact that the island has lost many such conferences due to restrictions at the Villa. Also anyone who knows anything about music will tell you that since the Lido was knocked down we are not be able to get the top artists to the island due to limited space ie.1500 people at the Villa or 4000 at a Lido sized venue. Just look at Summerpops in Liverpool, 4500 seats and managing to attract such acts as Simply Red, Jamie Callum, Diana Ross and for the young McFly, Busted etc. Great as the Villa is, we deffo need a bigger venue for the future of the islands entertainment

I was thinking of a smaller venue than the Villa so that we could get some decent bands over, sorry just don't find any in your list that appealing. I reckon plenty of these new indie bands, Editors, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi etc would play a 400-500 person Venue. I don't think we need anything bigger as they struggle to sell out the Villa with bands like Super Furry Animals.

Maybe it could be made into some kinda complex, but they would need to avoid it being too much like the Villa.

Friends of the earth are going to grass the area over and plant trees.

After it becomes a `green field site` the planning department will feel obliged to let one of our, sorry, their

developers build flats on it.

Why are posh flats called appartments?

I'd quite like an ice rink and i think it would prove popular, I would go probably a few times a month (depends on price) and to keep it alive just start up local Ice hockey teams, I think i'd join a team if i was good enough.

Archived