Did You Know Your Car Could Fly

as_it_happens

I'd imagine the Tesco lorry probably contains the baked beans and other long lasting stuff, there are powerpoints for the refrigerated lorries on the main car deck.

Can't say that for the Quality Manx Produce though :P Probably empty though.....

Awww, are the nasty internet people being unfriendly to you?

Didn't say it was some sort of crime to start a new topic at all.....just that people should use a bit of common sense and not fill the page with new topics which are already being discussed, it's not that hard to comprehend.

Welcome to the forum :)

Edit: I'm not crazy.....there was another post before mine which I was responding to!

I reckon the newspapers could use that picture. (for a modest fee)

Looks like the steam packet has put the clock back!! Before the original linkspan was built most of the cars that did come to the IOM in those days had to be craned off!!!

Did I dream the side loaders then ?

Yep Lone Wolf, I remember the same! Was it Mona's Isle or the 1960's commissioned Ben My Chree?

But if you check old archive footage, there are pictures of cars being craned off the boats, including the side loaders. Though now you have mentioned it, I think I do remember the ramps they used to get cars on and off the side loaders in the early 80's.

Weren't they like a wider version of the old passenger gangways, painted grey, and with non slip knobbles on them??

I think Manx Maid was the first. The last was the Lady which has just paid off.

Yes they used a ramp which, as you say was a beefed up version of the old gangways.

I always thought they were a better bet than the ro ro vessels as we were still able to go to Liverpool

which didnt have a linkspan until quite recently.

I wonder when the last "scheduled" crane off was ? That is when did the pre sideloaders stop operating ?

There is colour footage of it, so that would be in the late 50's or 60's wouldn't it, as colour footage wasn't all that common before then?

I do remember however, them using the ramps at the same time as the old linkspan (the one which got ran into) came into use.

The Manx Maid was delivered 1962 so I would assume the older ferries were still operating at the same time.

Maybe they stayed in service through the 60s. Im not certain when the next sideloader came into operation.

The linkspan was first in place for Geoff Duke's ship (Manx Viking). I cant remember the name of the shipping line. But it was he who first started transporting us to the wastelands of Heysham and led to the accelerated decline of the Steam Packet Fleet. It would have happened anyhow but maybe not so quickly.

Edit: I found the name of the Shipping Line ... ManxLine would you believe.

here is a link ManxLine

Yes, Geoff Duke was our very own Freddie Laker!

There were mixed feelings about it as the Steammie were thought to be holding the Island to ransom at that time, whereas ManxLine was a breath of fresh air introducing competition and an easier way of getting you and the car to the UK.

Thanks for the pictures of the Manx Maid; the fleet was certainly more aesthetically pleasing in those days than now!

I used to love going on the Manx Viking at the start of a summer holiday as it had loads of the coffee table style video games with pac-man, galaxians, phoenix etc.

It was ace! There was always something quite cool about the ro-ro boats too in the way they open up like something off a bond film. :)

Archived