Did You Know Your Car Could Fly

as_it_happens

There is colour footage of it, so that would be in the late 50's or 60's wouldn't it, as colour footage wasn't all that common before then?

I do remember however, them using the ramps at the same time as the old linkspan (the one which got ran into) came into use.

The Manx Maid was delivered 1962 so I would assume the older ferries were still operating at the same time.

Maybe they stayed in service through the 60s. Im not certain when the next sideloader came into operation.

The linkspan was first in place for Geoff Duke's ship (Manx Viking). I cant remember the name of the shipping line. But it was he who first started transporting us to the wastelands of Heysham and led to the accelerated decline of the Steam Packet Fleet. It would have happened anyhow but maybe not so quickly.

Edit: I found the name of the Shipping Line ... ManxLine would you believe.

here is a link ManxLine

Steamracket have been using Heysham since about 1903? :rolleyes:

Steamracket have been using Heysham since about 1903? :rolleyes:

Not continuously no.

Am I right in thinking Heysham was abandoned as a regular route circa 1930s?. (Must check)

Liverpool was the company's main route from 1928 onwards anyhow until the merger with SeaLink saved the Steampacket from impending bankruptcy and changed the main port to Heysham.

the history is in "Heysham Port a centenary of Manx & irish services" by Dick Clague - the IoMSPCo started to Heysham in 1928 (prior to this the railway companies operated the service) this was a 7 year agreement with LMS which appeared to continue until 1939 - then restarted 1952

the history is in "Heysham Port a centenary of Manx & irish services" by Dick Clague - the IoMSPCo started to Heysham in 1928 (prior to this the railway companies operated the service) this was a 7 year agreement with LMS which appeared to continue until 1939 - then restarted 1952

Nice one Frances.

Have you anyhow idea how long the port was used for post 1952 ?

It must have been well before the appearance of Geoff Duke's ManxLine as competition between the two company's also focussed on the two routes.

actually restarted in 1953 (misread year) stopped 1974 - Manxline (which appears to have been aided & abetted by Government to break IoMSPCo's monopoly) started in 1978; Sea containers acquired port in 1985 after privatisation of Sealink - SP returned to Heysham in 1985 when SP 'took over' Manxline (there wasn't really room for two companies neither made a profit on the important freight business)

actually restarted in 1953 (misread year) stopped 1974 - Manxline (which appears to have been aided & abetted by Government to break IoMSPCo's monopoly) started in 1978; Sea containers acquired port in 1985 after privatisation of Sealink - SP returned to Heysham in 1985 when SP 'took over' Manxline (there wasn't really room for two companies neither made a profit on the important freight business)

Thanks Frances. IOM Steam Packet Co has a long and fascinationg history.

Did the service go to Heysham for passengers rather than freight as I certainly don't remember it as an option. Fleetwood, yes, but Heysham, no.

Fleetwod was the main Steam packet route during World War 2 . It was also a brilliant day trip destination right up to the 1980s . I must admit I have no recollection at all of Steam Packet going to Heysham with passenger ferries and had thought they stopped circa 1930s. But memory is a strange thing !

I suspect Frances has the answer.

Heysham was the Railway port - as a child I remember a train called 'The manxman' which ran through Warrington - I thought to Heysham but maybe it was to Fleetwood.

Fleetwood as a Railway port for Belfast apparently ceased in 1928 and Heysham took over the Belfast trade and Heysham saw some money spent on it (wish the same could happen again - it is a dump !) The Steam packet after 1928 seemed to use both but did want to limit Heysham to weekends; post war the service to Heysham was limited one or two days a week as compared with a daily service to Fleetwood. At this time the SP carried few cars (this was a bone of contention with Gov/Douglas) - in 1969 shortlived hovercraft service wanted to carry cars and this started the improvements to Douglas harbour - Heysham services were still only once or twice a week before finishing in 1974 so memories of Fleetwood as main destination are correct (previous posts asked re SP's service to Heysham)

as was mentioned previously on another thread a road tunnel would be a permanent 24/365 link..no worries about hydraulic failures..adverse weather..industrial action due to cheap eastern european labour etc..

Do we take it this thread will now become a stream of gibberish ?

Pity I was quite enjoying Frances' shared knowledge

Archived