If Its "on Your Doorstep" How Close Is That?

as_it_happens

ON MR I heard this morning's news it was sensationalised that Bird Flu is "on the doorstep" with a case being found in Lyon in France.

OMG how close is that?

Well see for yourself and take a look at the map:-

link

http://encarta.msn.com/map_701514353/Lyon.html

Well? Looks to me like Lyon is nowhere near the north coast of France/English Channel so in my books that's nowhere close as being on the doorstep.

Guess it makes for another bit of scaremongering and worry. Is that good radio / reporting ?

Surely the UK should now ban outright and immediately the import of any poultry products from France?

where do the Swans come from that do come to the IOM?

Not many swans bother coming to the Isle of Man it costs too much on BA. Most of the swans that are here are manx and they live and breed here.

what other birds migrate here from Europe?

All of them.

ON MR I heard this morning's news it was sensationalised that Bird Flu is "on the doorstep" with a case being found in Lyon in France.

OMG how close is that?

Well see for yourself and take a look at the map:-

link

http://encarta.msn.com/map_701514353/Lyon.html

Well? Looks to me like Lyon is nowhere near the north coast of France/English Channel so in my books that's nowhere close as being on the doorstep.

Guess it makes for another bit of scaremongering and worry. Is that good radio / reporting ?

Surely the UK should now ban outright and immediately the import of any poultry products from France?

Lyon might not be close, but the German coast is a bit closer, and the brown stuff has just hit the fan big style on the German Island of Ruegen:

German authorities confirmed on Sunday evening (19 February) that the H5N1 bird flu virus has also been found on the German mainland.

Probes revealed the virus in two wild birds in Eastern and Northern Vorpommern, after the dangerous strain had already turned up last week on the island of Ruegen.

Meanwhile, Ruegen authorities declared a state of emergency on Sunday, with the German army being deployed to disinfect cars from the island to the mainland.

source

Going by the things the German newssites write, they don't have enough people to pick up the dead birds at the moment, and it's spreading to the mainland, and probably neighbouring countries as well - just wait for reports from Belgium and Holland - would that be close enough?

Maybe it's time to draw up a little contingency plan, just in case the scaremongering community is right on this occasion....

Maybe it's time to draw up a little contingency plan, just in case the scaremongering community is right on this occasion....

What plan though? I think there's really naff-all the Island can do other than putting visitors through quarantine checks at Ronaldsway / Douglas.

plan:-

1) Get somebody who knows about migratory birds i.e. Chris Sharpe to explain what birds come to the IOM and from where and in what numbers and when

2) get all owners of poultry to register their numbers of birds ASAP

3) inspect all premises where ANY poultry are kept

4) promote how important it is for anyone who finds a dead bird to not touch it and notify the Govt vet

5) tell poultry owners how much the compensation there will be for culling their stocks and for commercial owners loss of business

6) other items - please add

I may be complacent, but from what I read, it will only be a problem when the virus eventually mutates to infect from human to human. We can put in place the measures suggested above, but what will that do to stop migratory birds, which seems to be the way it is spreading ?

Let's not have another foot and mouth knee-jerk reaction until we know what the real threat is!

I may be complacent, but from what I read, it will only be a problem when the virus eventually mutates to infect from human to human. We can put in place the measures suggested above, but what will that do to stop migratory birds, which seems to be the way it is spreading ?

Let's not have another foot and mouth knee-jerk reaction until we know what the real threat is!

You arent being complacent you are being sensible.

There seems to be a whole industry built around scares of this sort. Anyone remember the SARS nonsense ?

You arent being complacent you are being sensible.

There seems to be a whole industry built around scares of this sort. Anyone remember the SARS nonsense ?

Yes, I do! No longer the new black as far as diseases go, or at least that's what Ginny Farqhuarson-Balderdash mentioned in the medical pages of "Hello!". ( I rather liked my mis-typed "Bladerdash", but I corrected it in the interests of accuracy and women of "a certain age" one of which I am rapidly becoming!)

Archived