Ballamodha

Spatula girl

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Manx Radio:

The Government has opted for speed limits on the Ballamodha Straight.

They will come into force on Friday with a main forty limit either side of the St Marks turn-off half way down, but a fifty limit on the approaches to the new zone.

I'm certainly against a blanket all Island speed limit, but the Ballamodha straight is not a good road for driving fast, certainly not by inexperienced drivers. There are many road junctions and house entrances and it has quite a bumpy gradient.

The trouble is, there are too many arrogant shits that take the attitude that because there isn't an enforced speed limit it must be ok for them to drive as fast as they can. That was one excuse used by the defendant in the latest Ballamodha court case.

It was also the excuse used by someone who had a crash on Richmond Hill about 9 years ago. "Yes, I was doing 90mph but there isn't a speed limit". That sort of fucken logic should be rewarded by confining the driver to one of those Peel bubble car things for the rest of their lives.

THE driver, yes. ALL drivers...no.

As Unisol says, a few bad/mad drivers are responsible for this, and the likelihood of an all-island speed limit soon, and the unbelievable cost of making Windy Corner 'safe'.

How about spending a grand on a couple of big signs instead saying 'killer bend ahead - slow down', and saving some money for the health service?

Or having another four high-viz police traffic cars on constant cruise pulling over some of these idiots?

And stupidity on the Ballamodha isn't restricted to just people in cars.

Two thirty on a sunday afternoon there were two people walking side by side up the Ballamodha.

Any guesses as to which side of the road they were on ?

Yep thats right - the wrong side. They were walking up on the left hand side of the road and as a result they couldn't see traffic on their side of the road...

Potential Darwin award material I guess....

whilst not excusing the actions of the walkers, many do not appreciate one of the stupidities of the footpaths (usually due to landowners refusing access) is that two long distance paths run along the stretch of that road from Silverburn upwards for about a mile.

I know the majority of you will disagree with me, but I don't think the roads on the Isle of Man are good enough to drive fast on. I also think the standard of driving over here is pretty poor. Sorry for being an old fart!

As Unisol says, a few bad/mad drivers are responsible for this, and the likelihood of an all-island speed limit soon, and the unbelievable cost of making Windy Corner 'safe'.

How about spending a grand on a couple of big signs instead saying 'killer bend ahead - slow down', and saving some money for the health service?

Or having another four high-viz police traffic cars on constant cruise pulling over some of these idiots?

Seconded

And how exactly is that limit going to be enforced 24/7?

Another thoughtless quick fix..... :angry:

Seconded

And how exactly is that limit going to be enforced 24/7?

Another thoughtless quick fix..... :angry:

Thirded

As usual the majority of people are being punished because of the few idiots !!!

Presumably I'm not alone in thinking that sensibel drivers will continue to slow down appropriately for that section whereas the idiots will ignore it and carry on belting past.....

Far too much inteligence on here for me !!! it won't make a difference the idiots will still be idiots .

Archived