Ballamodha

Spatula girl

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fail to see what is being spoiled for other road usersThe section involves is an area where lots of propertys have drive ways coming onto the road,a crossroads[possibly 2] and the raod is hardly what can be described as in good condition!

So every one who is saying it has been spoilt for every one by the mindless few needs to have a think about how good,or responsible a driver they are at been denied there fun i.e. driving fast on a section of road that is not built for the purpose.It will only put a minute or so on your journey.Remember just because you say it only happens to others or r plate drivers etc doesn't make it true.I would like to bet that all of these drivers said the same thing.

To be honest I think that it a f**king travesty, but saying that I was driving down there on Saturday, and some d1ckhead in a mini pulled out of the end of Phildraw Rd while I was rapidly approaching.

I think that there are a few drivers on the IOM who have no ability to judge speed / distance, on this basis an addition of speed limits near the junction is a good idea, and if your going to do it there, you may as well do the whole road!

but saying that I was driving down there on Saturday, and some d1ckhead in a mini pulled out of the end of Phildraw Rd while I was rapidly approaching.

Is that the bit where it says 'SLOW' in big letters on the road either side of that junction?

I fail to see what is being spoiled for other road usersThe section involves is an area where lots of propertys have drive ways coming onto the road,a crossroads[possibly 2] and the raod is hardly what can be described as in good condition!

So every one who is saying it has been spoilt for every one by the mindless few needs to have a think about how good,or responsible a driver they are at been denied there fun i.e. driving fast on a section of road that is not built for the purpose.It will only put a minute or so on your journey.Remember just because you say it only happens to others or r plate drivers etc doesn't make it true.I would like to bet that all of these drivers said the same thing.

That just shows your naivety, if you are a competent driver you drive to the road conditions ahead and your own skill and experience. The speed itself is irrelevant it is the surrounding circumstances that makes the difference, 70 -80 mph on a clear road in good weather conditions is quite acceptable but 50 in a built up area in the rain is just plain stupid, speed limits like this just infuriates competent driver , the idiots just won’t care.

Is that the bit where it says 'SLOW' in big letters on the road either side of that junction?

It is, but how slow is slow enough?

Do you drive so slow that a donut can pull out in front of you and it not be a concern?

You also need to consider what the word approaching means.

I had slowed (as advised, but not going SLOW as per the big letters) as anyone would, tell me, what speed do you drive pass the juction at, 20, 30?

It almost goes without saying that I was going slow enough not to broadside the mini driver, and avoid the car approaching from the south who ended up with thier car sideways in the road after having to 'slam on' to avoid arse ending the mini that had just pulled out in front of them sticking the back half of thier motor in the wrong side of the road.

Slow is relative, stupidity is an absolute!

Can anyone tell me how many fatalities (across all the islands roads) involved a driver who was breaking an existing law ?

The strange thing is this is a statistic that isn't reported. We see figures for accidents including under 20s, accidents at junctions, over 50's, speed was a factor etc but never a figure for any of the following

1. Car not suitable for road

2. Driver not licenced

3. Driver no insurance

4. Failure to wear seatbelt

5. Breaking speed limit

6. Contravening R plate legislation

7. Failure to obey traffic signs

etc etc.

Until you can say "NONE" then another law isn't going to do anything.

This isn't a case of the police not doing their jobs properly its a case of them not being given sufficient resources or motivation.

So, Braidwood has 'pinned his colours to the mast' of a speed limit curbing fatal accidents on the Ballamodha.

So, when there has been another fatal accident, in the speed limit area, as there surely will be after the speed limit signs etc are put up, should Mr Braidwood resign?

Sorry but that is just b0110cks, regardless of how much of a clown Mr Briadwood may or may not be, it can not be deemed as his responsibility if there is another fatal accident on that road, unless it is judged that a major contributing factor was a lack of speed.

agree with Nitro-car....no way are the Police going to have their "mobile" speed camera set up and monitored 24/7.... so when the days get longer and nights shorter at 4:30 am it will be easy to burn some rubber and do at least 120..and if at that time in the morning someone pulls out from a side road without stopping and looking and there is a smash then who is the incompetent driver...

agree with Nitro-car....no way are the Police going to have their "mobile" speed camera set up and monitored 24/7.... so when the days get longer and nights shorter at 4:30 am it will be easy to burn some rubber and do at least 120..and if at that time in the morning someone pulls out from a side road without stopping and looking and there is a smash then who is the incompetent driver...

The general idea of a speed limit is that folks should observe it irrespective of the time of day or whether the police are there to enforce it or not.

People have to take responsibility for their own actions.

It is, but how slow is slow enough?

Do you drive so slow that a donut can pull out in front of you and it not be a concern?

You also need to consider what the word approaching means.

I had slowed (as advised, but not going SLOW as per the big letters) as anyone would, tell me, what speed do you drive pass the juction at, 20, 30?

It almost goes without saying that I was going slow enough not to broadside the mini driver, and avoid the car approaching from the south who ended up with thier car sideways in the road after having to 'slam on' to avoid arse ending the mini that had just pulled out in front of them sticking the back half of thier motor in the wrong side of the road.

Slow is relative, stupidity is an absolute!

I suspected that. I was just making a point. :)

I quite agree that regardless of whatever speed you were travelling at the driver of said mini should have determined whether or not it would be safe to pull out from the junction without causing you to have to change your course or speed. I believe that would be a test fail fo them.

Archived