Ballamodha

Spatula girl

seven year sentance is not enough, what a joke.prison these days are more like a lock in holiday camp.

i think it should be 6 people to a cell, bread n water for lunch, share the same pee pot (in the cell).

i would of gave a sentance of 20 years min

Well, there were nails found in a tyre and this information was intentionally withheld. And if there was any doubt whatsoever that this could have contributed to the cause of the incident then Webb should not have been found guilty of the offence that he was.

So when you compare this with the case at Hilberry where a chap was blasting down the road, overtaking cars at speed, and killed a perfectly innocent person. What did he get - a £1000 (which ain't much to a millionaire) and a 12 month ban.

Compare and contrast.

Manx 'Justice' - us and them our kid, us and them.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nipper

The Hillberry case was Driving without Due Care and Attention whereas the Ballamodha case was Death by Dangerous Driving. As the charges are different, you cannot compare the different sentences.

To the best of my memory the nails in the tyre was not withheld but taken into consideration by the jury on the deliberations.

Mr Webb didn’t cause the death of these people by some unfortunate accident, he got into a car with no licence , no insurance and whatever else he knew he was doing wrong , in my opinion the book should have beaten him severely never mind just thrown at him.

Coroner

The matter isn't easy to sum up in a few sentences of course but thank you for making those points.

Perhaps the Hillberry case should have been 'Death by Dangerous Driving' also. But when you have an army of lawyers behind you and an expert witness wrapped up in your pocket and dubious people providing irrelevant character statements, that (edited to say meaning a charge of 'Death by Dangerous Driving') would never have got anywhere on this Island.

But I'm comparing two cases where people have driven at speed and where they have been responsible for their actions in driving a vehicle, which has resulted in death.

The sentenced given in the Hillberry case along with all the amazing orchestrations that went with it have caused an absolute outrage on this Island and won't be forgotten.

The sentenced given in the Hillberry case along with all the amazing orchestrations that went with it have caused an absolute outrage on this Island and won't be forgotten.

Although this is a somewhat emotive topic, and one that seems to have had a significant effect on you, it does not in anyway detract from the case at hand. (from memory there was an outcry on here over that case)

The driver in this case (Webb) was not 'equipped' to be driving a car as sideways has pointed out "he got into a car with no licence , no insurance " he should not (in the eyes of the law) have been in a position where, regardless of nails in tyres or otherwise, he could have been in a CAR crash.

Nipper

The Hillberry case was Driving without Due Care and Attention whereas the Ballamodha case was Death by Dangerous Driving. As the charges are different, you cannot compare the different sentences.

To the best of my memory the nails in the tyre was not withheld but taken into consideration by the jury on the deliberations.

In fact the Hillberry case was originally charged as Causing Death By Dangerous Driving.

The jury cleared that charge and found the chap guilty of driving without due care and attention.

So yes, I would say the cases can and should be compared. Considering the outcome of the Hillberry case and the rather woolly evidence that was proffered (and amazingly accepted) the quite compelling evidence of nails in the tyres should have got Webb off similarly.

The sentencing was down to the (same) deemster.

As a point of clarification, I am not attempting to defend anything to do with the Ballamodha case.

Oh no.

Archived