Single allowance up to 8600

Maried 17340

Uper limit 10000 single 20000 married

No taxation on benifits

tax credits up to 350

Capping on the wealthy, single 100k married 200k

Heating allowance up 40%

Tax allowance on the 2nd home to be scraped

Government now have over £1 billion in reserve accounts and its investments earned 20% last year and 15% over the previous 2 years

Bell has said that with the introduction of the zero tax rate for companies, utility firms like telecom, gas mea and petrol must pass on the savings to the public.

I good move if they stick to it

With tax allowances only going up 2% and inflation running at 3-3% to me it looks like a rise in tax, A bit of a fat cat budget

A new tax, 10% taxation on land and rental deals. almost a capital gains tax

And a further 1000 houses are to be built by Local Government over the next 4 years, that should bring in more construction firms from the UK with the zero tax dodge

http://www.gov.im/treasury/budget/

A surprising pre-election budget, lots of quite radical changes from the look of things:

0 rated company tax, a tax cap of 100k and a "simplification of tax relief" which is a bit worrying.

The land/rent thing's always been there, I've a feeling its simply included in the budget to remind people it exists. There definately seems to be an effort to tax property speculation, although this isn't listed as an objective.

http://www.gov.im/treasury/budget/

There definately seems to be an effort to tax property speculation, although this isn't listed as an objective.

According the website "Income tax rate for land and property income remains at 10%" - doesn't that mean that whilst other income can be taxed at 18% for higher earners, land and property income will attract a maximum o 10% income tax? Doesn't that actually mean it's a good idea to be a property speculator if you are a higher rate tax payer??

No. It means it would be better from a tax point of view to put spare cash into a bank account on the Island which is tax free.

*(Assuming simillar rates of return from both investments - which probably isn't the case, visit a Independent Financial Adviser - don't listen to me)

Bell has said that with the introduction of the zero tax rate for companies, utility firms like telecom, gas mea and petrol must pass on the savings to the public.

I good move if they stick to it

With tax allowances only going up 2% and inflation running at 3-3% to me it looks like a rise in tax, A bit of a fat cat budget

No he didn't say that at all. He said he hoped these companies would pass on the savings to the public.

Archived